Mechanical Anti Skate

Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Wax » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm

The folks at VPI appear to favor disabling the mechanical antiskate in favor of twisting the connector wire. Who is using the mechanical antiskate? If so, what arm, at what setting and with what cart? What kind of results are you getting?
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Gary1955 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:46 pm

I tried the mechanical antiskate and eliminated it, have been using a slight twist in the tonearm wire, sounds better than the mechanical device IMO. No problems with wear on my stylus or inner groove distortion.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby Brf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:54 pm

I use the lowest setting on the VPI mechanical anti-skate on my 12-3DR arm. Since the 12" arm has less of a head shell offset, the anti-skate force is less when compared to VPI's shorter tonearms.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Buck115 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:58 pm

I don't use any anti skate; neither mechanical or twisted connecting wire. I've formed the connecting wire into the smoothest arc possible and it seems to work well for me with the cartridge I'm using and my current alignment/setup.
2 Channel: VPI Classic 1 | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Ref Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AudioQuest King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby Brf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 pm

Brf wrote:I use the lowest setting on the VPI mechanical anti-skate on my 12-3DR arm. Since the 12" arm has less of a head shell offset, the anti-skate force is less when compared to VPI's shorter tonearms.

I should edit my response in light of what Buck115 said. I don't hear a difference between using and not using anti-skate. I understand the physics involved in anti-skate and use it to promote even stylus wear. It helps me sleep better at night.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Wax » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Brf wrote:
Brf wrote:I use the lowest setting on the VPI mechanical anti-skate on my 12-3DR arm. Since the 12" arm has less of a head shell offset, the anti-skate force is less when compared to VPI's shorter tonearms.

I should edit my response in light of what Buck115 said. I don't hear a difference between using and not using anti-skate. I understand the physics involved in anti-skate and use it to promote even stylus wear. It helps me sleep better at night.

Yup! Just installed a new cart and it got me thinking about uneven wear. On my old cart I used very little AS and had the wire in pretty much in a neutral position. So I was thinking of trying the mechanical AS at a minimal setting and was curious as to wear benefits and sound change.
Last edited by Wax on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby jonathanb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm

I have a Van den Hul Grasshopper cartridge that is supposed to be used with 0.6g of anti-skate. How do I go about achieving that with the anti-skate device?
jonathanb

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:04 pm

You can't with a VPI tonearm, perhaps because Harry believes that no antiskate is best. Soundsmith recommends a method that can be found on its website. There are quite a few other methods recommended on internet blogs. I'm not aware of a stand alone antiskate measurement device. However, it most likely doesn't matter because the skate force is constantly changing and bias settings are imprecise. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Buck115 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Brf wrote:

Brf, I can appreciate your rationale for using anti-skate, even at a minimal setting!! I suspect if I was using a cartridge that was in the 4-5 digit K$ range I'd use it too! As it is, at about $500 I still sleep like a baby without it! :lol:
2 Channel: VPI Classic 1 | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Ref Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AudioQuest King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby Stringreen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 pm

First and foremost, find out if the sound changes with and without antiskate. If you find that the sound is better without antiskate, just don't use it. My car would have far greater tire mileage if I flatbedded it everywhere....but I choose to ride it on its soft rubber tires. I will need to replace those tires someday, but its the cost I will absorb. A very good experiment is to simply flip over the VPI antiskate gizmo so that the fishing line is not taught.
Stringreen

Next

Return to General Chat