Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Stringreen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm

right!
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am

audiom3 wrote:
WntrMute wrote:
Stringreen wrote:Its included as an option with VPI.....if none is offered, you can't sell an arm.

Maybe that is because most manufactures and consumers believe in trying to correct for a physical force.

When I do not use anti-skate on my SME-V the cantilever is clearly no longer centered in the opening of the cartridge. When I adjust anti-skate to the recommended figure, the cantilever no longer deflects. My linear tracking cartridge stays centered, clearly illustrating that skating forces do not come into play without headshell angle. Skating forces are real, if you find that your rig sounds better without trying to correct for it, more power to you. You are stating your opinion over and over, we all get that you don't like A/S.

Since I've changed out my stock Classic 1 tonearm (w/ the damping fluid cup) to the adjustable VTA tower and 3D arm, I noticed that I no longer need anti-skate. I tested it and when AS is engaged, the stylus deflects toward the center of the record. With no AS, It glides straight down. I've tried to move the donut(s) to their lowest point(s) but the deflection towards the spindle still occurs. I don't even have the arm wire twisted.

Interesting observation. Damping fluid acts mainly to suppress the low-frequency arm/cartridge system resonance. It can aid in tracking but It does not affect anti-skate.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby audiom3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Brf wrote:
audiom3 wrote:
WntrMute wrote:
Maybe that is because most manufactures and consumers believe in trying to correct for a physical force.

When I do not use anti-skate on my SME-V the cantilever is clearly no longer centered in the opening of the cartridge. When I adjust anti-skate to the recommended figure, the cantilever no longer deflects. My linear tracking cartridge stays centered, clearly illustrating that skating forces do not come into play without headshell angle. Skating forces are real, if you find that your rig sounds better without trying to correct for it, more power to you. You are stating your opinion over and over, we all get that you don't like A/S.

Since I've changed out my stock Classic 1 tonearm (w/ the damping fluid cup) to the adjustable VTA tower and 3D arm, I noticed that I no longer need anti-skate. I tested it and when AS is engaged, the stylus deflects toward the center of the record. With no AS, It glides straight down. I've tried to move the donut(s) to their lowest point(s) but the deflection towards the spindle still occurs. I don't even have the arm wire twisted.

Interesting observation. Damping fluid acts mainly to suppress the low-frequency arm/cartridge system resonance. It can aid in tracking but It does not affect anti-skate.

What's even more interesting is the free-flowing nature of the newer pivot/wand. It's like on hyper bearings now. Just a slight nudge (or fumble) of the wand and it shoots away from my fingers. The older setup had much more friction. I could fumble the wand and it would hardly move in comparison. This however, seems like the opposite of what is happening with AS. But I'm no expert on physics.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 pm

audiom3 wrote:What's even more interesting is the free-flowing nature of the newer pivot/wand. It's like on hyper bearings now. Just a slight nudge (or fumble) of the wand and it shoots away from my fingers. The older setup had much more friction. I could fumble the wand and it would hardly move in comparison. This however, seems like the opposite of what is happening with AS. But I'm no expert on physics.

Your old tonearm had a bearing cup that sat is a pool of silicone damping fluid which provided resistance whereas the new arm is not restricted by a viscous fluid. Many users with older tonearms with damping fluid capability often over filled the damping fluid well which had an adverse affect on the arm's performance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby audiom3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Brf wrote:
audiom3 wrote:What's even more interesting is the free-flowing nature of the newer pivot/wand. It's like on hyper bearings now. Just a slight nudge (or fumble) of the wand and it shoots away from my fingers. The older setup had much more friction. I could fumble the wand and it would hardly move in comparison. This however, seems like the opposite of what is happening with AS. But I'm no expert on physics.

Your old tonearm had a bearing cup that sat is a pool of silicone damping fluid which provided resistance whereas the new arm is not restricted by a viscous fluid. Many users with older tonearms with damping fluid capability often over filled the damping fluid well which had an adverse affect on the arm's performance.

True. But I only used the fluid for about 6 months. It never moved very fluidly (pardon the pun) even with no viscus fluid.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby Brf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:03 pm

audiom3 wrote:
Brf wrote:

True. But I only used the fluid for about 6 months. It never moved very fluidly (pardon the pun) even with no viscus fluid.

Perhaps your old arm had the old conical bearing which has been replaced by a pivot spike on the new arms. The new pivot spike has a greater range of motion which gives the impression of less stability. In any event, I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the new arm.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby ijs76c » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 pm

I have a Prime table with a Soundsmith Zephyr MKII. I have found the best sound using the mechanical antiskate with only one donut on the second notch from the end.
ijs76c

Previous

Return to General Chat