Synergistic Research PHTs

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby MOON » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Oldskooldude,

I was surprised when you said you preferred the green at first over the black in your initial post. Also, they do work on expensive cartridges such as my Lyra kleos. After hearing my system with the addition of the black pht, there would be no way I would ever listen without it once heard.

My friend bought a pht set after hearing mine. It made a big difference in his system as well. He prefers the black as well. I think these pht's are the best bargin per dollar spent on the upgraded sound quality.. With a money back quarentee it's a no brainer.

Spsesq,
You have to re adjust VTA after adding the pht. Beleive me, I was skeptical as well until I heard the results first hand.

Synergistic Research is coming out with 2 additional sets after the black/ green sets are sold out. That will be interesting. There's only 750 sets per lot made. Once there gone, there gone.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Babybird, those Tuning Dots are more like Synergistic Resesearch's HRT and HRT-X. I don't see anything on their site that is like a PHT. They are much less costly, but not the same as the PHT. They may be a less costly HRT solution though. Am I missing something?
oldskooldude

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Moon, the preference to the more spacial sound stage is probably because I have a small listening area with the speakers close together. Although I have had some extended listening with the Black now and I find it very nice. I listened to the Blue and loved it. I'm going to rotate, so I'm back on the green now.

I agree that they work on expensive carts. My Voice isn't cheap, just a few hundred less than your Lyra. All I said is it may make a cheap cart sound better. I do find the result very pleasing to the ear and even if you have a $10K cart it would change the sound as advertised. Can you really call it an improvement though? Different, yes. It doesn't change transient response, levels, tones or frequency response. By changing those resonant harmonics you hear the same frequencies differently because a lot of the the stuff that got in the way has been redirected. Does that make sense, it took me a while to wrap my head around that.

I agree, this is a very inexpensive way to get more out of your system. The Blue and Purple are still available from Highend Electronics in California. The Cable Company/Fyrewire may have them as well. The purple and blue seem to be a little more subtle than the Green and Black.

Keep us posted on availability of the next batch.
oldskooldude

Postby 10ovr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:49 pm

All the pix I see of these, it's mounted on top of the cart,,On a VPI 3D tonearm the cart dose not stick out that far,,Are you mounting it on the tonearm ???
10ovr

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Yes I am. I was apprehensive about that. I still works fine. They say to do that if the cart body is not accessible.
oldskooldude

Postby MOON » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 am

10ovr wrote:All the pix I see of these, it's mounted on top of the cart,,On a VPI 3D tonearm the cart dose not stick out that far,,Are you mounting it on the tonearm ???

You can mount the pht either on the cartridge or the top of the head shell. Due to what you described above I had to mount mine on the head shell dead center right at the front of the head shell. If you read the Synergistic research advertisement you can mount it in either location.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby MOON » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 am

Oldskooldude wrote :
Can you really call it an improvement though? Different, yes.

You can call it either way. To me it's a vast improvement. My friend placed his order right after hearing in my system going from the green to black pht.
MOON

Postby TomD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am

How do these mount to the headshell? It seems they can be swapped pretty easily so I assume the adhesive is something that doesn't dry out? I would be concerned about damaging the tonearm finish on 3D arms.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby oldskooldude » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 am

Tom, it's not a problem. The white tack stays soft. Just use a tiny dot on the bottom of the PHT and it may still ooze out. Just get it dead center on the very end of the head shell. Make sure it is level and secure. No damage and I've changed out several times. I love playing with these 'cause their cool. :D

Happy listening and peace.
oldskooldude

Postby babybird » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:57 am

oldskooldude wrote:Babybird, those Tuning Dots are more like Synergistic Resesearch's HRT and HRT-X. I don't see anything on their site that is like a PHT. They are much less costly, but not the same as the PHT. They may be a less costly HRT solution though. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you're right on that. I was just generally lumping them all as resonant control devices. Maybe these PHT's are not resonant control devices though, but something more like the Shatki Stones on a very small scale. But putting anything on a tone arm or cartridge would most definitely change its resonant behavior to some degree.

Spent some time yesterday researching these devices and while I certainly do not want to rain on anyones parade the reality is their acceptance or universal appeal seems to be a mixed bag. There are many discussions all over the internet from Amazon, to Steve Hoffman, audiogon and beyond where people tried them and either didn't hear much difference or didn't care for what they heard. We all know this is typical of audio in general, some like analog others digital and the list and opinions on all matters of audio go on forever.

Sounds like you are having a great time with them though.
babybird

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat