Synergistic Research PHTs

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby pvannest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:33 pm

The point is that there is indeed a difference. It is hard to believe but it is there. Play with them and enjoy the music.
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby oldskooldude » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 pm

OK, I've listened to all four of them the Blue, Purple, Black and Green. I was wrong about the Black I was surprised by the lowered Bass floor and I had to re-adjust the VTA/SRA. After a few tweeks, I couldn't stop listening to that one. As a matter of fact, I set out with six records that I was going to play using each PHT and none at all. The PHTs behave exactly as advertised. The lower noise floor is quite pleasing in and of itself, but add in the other changes and it's like a different, great sounding cartridge every time.

I can liken it it this:
You have a great sounding cart. You put a PHT on and you still have that great sounding cart but the soundstage, noise level and resonance changes make the cart sound different from the original. Still great sounding but different. So it's like you have another cart.

I bought all four so I have four new cartridges that all sound the same, but different and great.

I used Madman Across the Water, the whole album and several others. Some were new audiophile pressings, some were new reqular pressings and some were old, used records I have had for 40 years. The biggest problem I has was I would listen and think "...what would such-and-such sound like?" I would end up spending the night listening to other records that weren't part of the test run! :D Lot's of fun but not accomplishing what I set out to do and I ended up with 10 records in the stack.

I've got the Blue Velvet on now. The more spatial sound-stage is great in my listening area. It feels like I am inside the band sometimes. Soon I'm going back to the Black & Green again. I really liked the Purple and it's more focused sound.

You can enjoy these for what they are. A little toy. They may even make a lesser cart sound a lot better. Don't expect a tremendous improvement if you have a really good cart, but you will hear a difference no matter what you have.

Peace
Prime Signature/SoundSmith Voice/MMP3
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Acoustat TNT-120 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
Denon DP-60L/Grace F9 w/SoundSmith Ruby OCL stylus
JBL L100 w/Graveson crossover
ATC SCM19 V2
Synergistic HRT L1 & L2, HRT-X L1, PHT
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Postby Spsesq » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Let me start by saying that I respect all your observations when listing with these little round things placed on your head shells. I am sure you are hearing something. However, I am playing the devils advocate here because I won't spend my $$$ on something that I can't understand how the particular item works.

Yet no one, not any one here on this forum or even the manufacturer itself, has stated what scientifically these things do to any electrical component by placing them on top of said component.

Do they add weight to your cartridge stylus which would result in the actual needle tracking deeper in the groove than normal so your cartridges are pulling out more information?

Do they somehow "mechanically amplify" a signal without an added power supply?

What does a round metal "donut" actually do?

The manufacturer won't even say what this is or how it works on its site or in YouTube videos. However, people say they hear something....

Please explain to me.
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby Johnny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 am

Spsesq wrote:Please explain to me.

If you choose a retailer with a not satisfied return policy, then no explanation is necessary. It either works for you or it doesn't.
Johnny

Postby SubVet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 am

For some of us, myself included, how it works is important. Besides, these return policies are great, but rarely free.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 am

Do you mean like paying the shipping on a return?
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
ATC SCM19 V2
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Postby SubVet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

oldskooldude wrote:Do you mean like paying the shipping on a return?

Yes the return shipping and insurance (I don't ship without full value insurance). Even something small and lightweight can cost you $10 to return.
The main point is it is not free and there is good reason to want to have at least a basic idea of how something works before you buy it.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Well for actually more like 2-3 bucks for these I figure it's worth a try. Two percent? Maybe penny wise and pound foolish? I pay more than that at the grocery store for sales tax on food in Georgia.
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
ATC SCM19 V2
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Postby oldskooldude » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Spsesq wrote:Let me start by saying that I respect all your observations when listing with these little round things placed on your head shells. I am sure you are hearing something. However, I am playing the devils advocate here because I won't spend my $$$ on something that I can't understand how the particular item works.

Yet no one, not any one here on this forum or even the manufacturer itself, has stated what scientifically these things do to any electrical component by placing them on top of said component.

Do they add weight to your cartridge stylus which would result in the actual needle tracking deeper in the groove than normal so your cartridges are pulling out more information?

Do they somehow "mechanically amplify" a signal without an added power supply?

What does a round metal "donut" actually do?

The manufacturer won't even say what this is or how it works on its site or in YouTube videos. However, people say they hear something....

Please explain to me.

I was skeptical also. Michael Fremer and several other reviews are quite fond of them. They are only sold by high-end outlets. The manufacturing run was sold out quickly, what is available now is new old stock. They do add weight, about .2 gram. They recommend resetting VTF, which means anti-skate too, if you use it.

What I have been able to discern is that the designer uses Quantum Mechanics in a way that captures the high frequency harmonics and converts them into a harmonic that is pleasing to hear, to augment the program material. I think this is like the butterfly flapping it's wings in Africa and a hurricane hits New Orleans. Micro/Macro action. That's all I got and it may be dead wrong, but they work as advertised.

I would be very surprised if anyone found their sound unpleasant. It does not improve your cartridge. You get a different sound that is pleasing. So pleasing that it's hard to stop listening.

The manufacturer is very close lipped about how they work. It says they are Pat. Pend. so you might get a description of operation from the Patent office. My guess is they just say Pat Pend to protect themselves like people trademark things but don't file. I'm not a salesman and really don't care if anybody buys them, I've got mine and I will enjoy them even though I can still return them for a full refund (minus return shipping). :)
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
ATC SCM19 V2
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Postby babybird » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:42 pm

I'll admit my skepticism as well, but I am also aware of another company that has produced similar items that also receive high praise. Marigo Labs. I've used their CD/DVD matts for years and while it makes no sense at all they do change the sound and for the better. Likewise there are many who doubt the benefits of any of these products and refer to it as the ubiquitous audio snake oil.
babybird

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat