Synergistic Research PHTs

Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Stereophile's Michael Fremmer and Robert Deutsch gave rave reviews to them. Have those of you who have tried one noticed a big improvement in sound quality.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby adeep42 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I was so curious that I sprung for the bucks and got two. Yes there was a change, very subtle, but a change. Had one on my original Scout and one on my Rega RP6 in my office/bedroom system. When I moved about a year ago, somehow the Scout one disappeared. Have been running my Prime with a much better cartridge and can't say I've missed it.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Postby jasonsim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:01 pm

I have the original set. I want to say that the blue one made things more focused, while the purple one made for a larger soundstage. I have been using purple in my system now for a few years. My ears are used to it, so I would need to take it out to really tell a difference now. But I liked it initially and so continue to use it. I also use a set of HFT X on my speakers, which made a noticeable difference. So much so, that I could not send them back to CableCo who lent them out to me.
Analog FE: VPI Classic 4 w/ 12" 3DR arm, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Zesto Andros phono
Digital FE: Auralic Aries Mini, Esoteric K-05 SACD player / DAC
Classe Sigma SSP pre/pro, Sanders Sound ESL Mark II amp
Martin Logan Montis, Transparent & Voodoo
jasonsim

Postby MOON » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:21 am

I have the latest 2 strains of pht's. One is black the other is green. I had read Micheal Fremer's review which prompted my purchase. There is also another Stereophile review ( Robert Deutsch ) where he tried all 4, blue , purple, black and green saying they all made a positive sound improvement with his favourite being the black pht followed by the blue one.

The 750 run of the blue/purple were sold out when I placed my order. The pht's arrived and I waited a couple of days for a friend to come over so we could evaluate the difference, if any. We used the Mobile Fidelity, Beck - Sea Change Sunday Sun song. Both of us are very familiar with this album.

We played the song without the pht, then with the black pht and adjusted vtf. With the black pht, the soundstage definately was larger, like the music was less tethered to the speakers as Fremer discribed. Holographic is a good description. A good example of this holographic description was when I played the new 180 g release of the song - Madman accross the water which was amazing. I said to myself at the time " never heard it like the before" There is also a lot of lower detailed imformation that was previously masked or may say less prominent before the addition of the black pht.

You have heard this a 1000 times, however with the black pht the different sounds and instruments in the soundstage are clearly separated from each other so you are hearing things clearer and better. Decays of notes and singers voices when Elton say Madman accross the WATER, where the WATER word decays way back in the soundstage and then comes back forward again is amazing.

I also found more detail with the black pht on, but not at the expense of being bright or shrill. Quite the opposite, detail but sounding lush.

In closing, I am using a Prime turntable with a Lyra Kloes cartridge which has the best Soundsmith retip option which is a boron cantilever. The pht's have a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Mine are staying put. I did try the green pht, it didn't have the holographic , lush soundstage. It to me made details too striking, where the black gave more detail but not in a bright manner.
Cheers, Greg
Attachments
20170625_080136.jpg
20170625_080136.jpg (674.86 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby pvannest » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:30 pm

I received a set a few years ago for Christmas. I had forgotten which one was supposed to do what, so instead of reading the documentation, I just put the blue one on first to see if, #1 I could tell a difference and #2 what that difference was. I had a fear that that they really could have been just more snake oil, and at the price that would have been a bummer. To my pleasant surprise, there was a discernible difference, not massif but there none the less. With the blue PHT, the soundstage was more focused. I then put the green one on and noticed a wider soundstage. It was only after I had done that did I bother to look at the literature. That was enough to convince me. I did this with a Project Genie and Sumiko EVO III. I have not bothered to try them out on my classic and Soundsmith. I will in good time though.
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:21 pm

I just upgraded from my Classic 2 Black Friday SE to Prime Signature #142, I put a Soundsmith Voice in right now. I read about the PHTs and got curious. They offer 100% satisfaction guarantee so I figured I could send them back if I don't like them. I'm trying all four that are available.

When I finally finished the setup, and the Soundsmith Cartridges do sound better with real ant-skate so it takes some time (but that's another thread). The soundstage improvement was significant. That's why I am so curious. Metaphorically I went from a 70" 1080P flat screen to an 80" 4k flat screen. Will I get to VR?

They were shipped today so I should get them by the end of the week. I'll let everyone know my opinion after an evaluation.
oldskooldude

Postby MOON » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Look forward to your observations. Nice cartridge you have there. On a side not when I ordered a mint protractor and re did my Prime cartridge set up, it made a vast improvement.
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby MOON » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm

My friend who was there when we tried the pht's ordered the black/ green set to use the black pht after he heard my prime with it on and with out it. He was surprised at the difference in sound with the pht.
MOON

Postby oldskooldude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Here's my progress report.

OK, I've used the Green Dream, a Sativa strain, and it performed as advertised. Definitely changed the sound-stage. You notice that right away. After getting half way through the first record you hear the lower noise, better bass and the mid's seemed better to me as well. I say better, I mean cleaner and more punchy. It doesn't change the sound, they seem to space everything and put the instruments in their places, not necessarily spread around as in many 70's and 80's mixes. I can't articulate it like Michael Fremer does, I don't have a $150,000 system either. I just know, with my old ears, it sounds better. I played the new Dave Brubeck re-issue of Take Five. I felt like I was inside his piano. Everything I played had a more satisfying sound. I would say it made that Voice sing (pun intended).

It took me a while to want to change to a different one, I was enjoying the Green Dream quite a bit. I have all four so I owe it to myself to try them all. So I put on the Black Widow, an Indica strain, which I get couch lock from. I'm not sure I like it yet. There was an instantaneous change in the sound-stage which is more focused. It seems like the bass is more in front, perhaps more than my room can handle even though I have deployed Level 1 and Level 2 of their HRTs and Level 1 or their HRT-X.

I notice this on my stand-by test record the original MoFi version of American Beauty by the Grateful Dead. Phil takes a couple of licks on an open E string before he had all his fancy effects on his bass that got amplified by the listening area. I have some excessive reverb that I didn't hear with the Green Dream. Troels Graveson has explained this phenomenon to me and my room, it seems, is uniquely qualified for this type of noise. I could play that record with the Green Dream with no problem.

It's hard to believe that there is any noise being picked up or generated on or by the Prime Signature, even though it is placed directly behind the right channel speaker (less than three feet) on a four inch Maple slab. Even when played loud it doesn't seem to mind. I'm guessing that there are some vibrations that are generated and not fully damped as they are right in the music as harmonics from the cart. If I understand how these work using quantum mechanics they can selectively damp those. If anybody can explain it I'm listening. Their inventor (Pat Pend) and Synergistic Research are not elaborating on the technology.

I learned Classic Physics in college (a couple of generations ago), they may have mentioned Quantum Mechanics in passing. Wikipedia is about all my knowledge consists of. I think it's the butterfly flapping it's wings in an African jungle and it causes severe thunder storms in Kansas or something like that. Anybody? A little help here.

Anyway that little tiny button on the end my head shell sure makes a lot of audible difference. The conclusions, so far, each room and pair of ears are different, so you have to try it and decide for yourself. The Black Widow may sound great in a larger room, but mine is a bit too small for all that bass I think. I'm going to give it more time, then move on to the Blue Velvet and Purple Haze. I may end up sticking with the Green Dream, I'm trying to keep and open mind.
oldskooldude

Postby Analog Aecad » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 am

oldskooldude wrote:Here's my progress report...

+1
VPI Prime, HRX Center Weight, Periphery Ring, HRX Pulley w/3 belts, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector 20x2L
Analog Aecad

Next

Return to General Chat