Synergistic Research PHTs

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby Golear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 am

Brf wrote:
Mr_Putty wrote:I find this discussion very interesting, especially since I have a rather modest 1980 system with King Cobra (some Diamond Back), CV-8 cables and Acoustat 2+2 speakers. I would like to step back a bit and ask if anyone with a VPI Prime with the metal finger lift a question. Have you tried layering the metal finger lift with transparent tape? I do not mean wrapping the finger lift, but placing tape only on the lift that is outside the tonearm and trimming it to the edge. I am using two layers on the top of the lift and one on the bottom. I used a sharp hobby knife to trim the tape to the edge of the lift after it was applied. Why did I do this? I placed my cart on a non moving record and lightly tapped on the finger lift with the aluminum tube that came with the 3-D arm. I gradually increased the gain until I could easily hear a resonance. It was clearly in the audible frequency range. I did not like what I heard. Then i tried the tape experiment and found an improvement. My 2 cents is that the dots are doing something similar to improve the audio source. The only down side to the tape I found is that it requires some additional weight on the opposite side of the tone arm to remain the correct azimuth balance. I used the round azimuth weight to compensate. So, here is a challenge. If the dots are an improvement in your system, try the tape dampening and determine if there is even more improvement. IF there is please comment about it and describe what you did. I have been using the tape for several months and see no reason to remove it except to try listening with another dampening material. I'm thinking of using a dip in FlexSeal liquid for comparison. You have probably seen the adds for it on TV. I'm not a salesman, just looking for the best bang for the buck.
JTA

I know some user who just remove the finger lift altogether and just use the cue mechanism.

When one sticks anything to something, one changes the vibration characteristics. You can take a dinner bell and stick a small piece of adhesive tape on it. This changes the sound quite dramatically. And a little bit goes a very long way. One can use adhesive tape, painters tape, duct tape, paper address labels. On the top side, the bottom side, or top and bottom sides. One can coat the item with paint, plastic, FlexSeal, epoxy, sorbothane. You could also change the shape of the finger lift, or make it out of a different material.

I don't think turning the volume up and tapping is a valid test, though. Resonance need not be a bad thing. It is unavoidable, and it may be helpful if a peak in one part falls in a dip of another part or the whole. (Speaker designers do that all the time.) The harder question is whether the change improves the overall music playback. I've tried something like this and got a mixed result. There seemed to be greater "clarity" in the vocals but this came with a slight compression in the sound and a loss of bass response. There was also a flattening of the soundstage. I took it off.

It's definitely something to try out, but any change I make would be 100% reversible.
Golear

Re: Synergistic Research PHTs

Postby MOON » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Mr putty,

If you are interested in the pht's have a look at Stereophile's Michael Fremer's review of them and also Robert Deutsch's review of all 4. I am not sure why they work, but have experienced the benefits soundwise,

As for fuses, the Synergistic blue fuses are the best I have used so far. There is a big discussion on them in the Audiogon forums.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Previous

Return to General Chat