Have started building high-end wall-mounted record shelves

Re: Have started building high-end wall-mounted record shelv

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Deepcutrich,
I use simple wood boxes stacked vertically on a moving dolly for storage. I made them a long time ago but recently painted them black. Your products look great, but I love dovetail joints. Maybe you could offer them as another option? They would be stronger than glue and if precisely made could be assembled by the user without glue. That would allow you to ship the boxes flat saving on shipping (I would hope). Have you considered molded plastic with a wood grain look? Or using a wood like flooring material. I see several price point options for your customers. Good luck!
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby bdp24 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:41 am

deepcutrich wrote:No worries at all, that's what I'm here for. Good to know. We haven't run into that specific feedback, but that wouldn't be a difficult addition to the design as you said. That would also be potentially helpful when the owner has a small quantity of records and can't fill a significant portion of the space. Currently, the internal width is 13 1/2 inches wide which generally will fit 60+ records. Would you say your not comfortable with more than a grouping of, say, 30 records in one "zone"?
Thanks for the feedback!

A divider in the center of the cube would be perfect. I see a lot of people's collections with the entire group of LP's in a cube leaning to one side. That puts a lot of weight on the LP's toward the lean side, which can lead to warps. I use the 12 x 12 cardboard spacers that come in LP shipping cartons to fill the unused space in my less-than-full cubes, which holds the LP's perfectly vertical.
bdp24

Postby deepcutrich » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Excellent feedback guys. Thanks for the input. The dovetail joint is one we are also fond of. Although the joint we've gone with has been stronger than anything we've been able to throw at it yet, that is a nice looking strong joint. We'll be exploring plenty of those options as we go I'm sure. We're going to try and stay away from molded plastics and stick with wood for a few reasons, but a lot of practicality to what you're suggesting.

On the divider comment, yes, the more we talk about it and the more I hear feedback about it, the more I like the idea, especially a nice wooden stylized version.

Thanks again for all the great thoughts. What a fantastic community this is!
deepcutrich

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 am

Dividers of wood, what about stiff stainless wire instead? A few guide holes and you could put them where you want.
Mr_Putty

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm

deepcutrich wrote:For the "not for me, but good for apartments/smaller spaces", point taken and could be some truth to that. What is your current set up / storage situation if I may ask? Just interested in knowing what people are currently using.

Hi there! That was me. My current set up is shown below. New arrivals/in heavy rotation go in the metal display rack on top of the bar. I am starting to run out of room though.... :mrgreen:

IMG_2208.jpg
IMG_2208.jpg (277.12 KiB) Viewed 286 times

IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2209.jpg (341.08 KiB) Viewed 286 times

IMG_2210.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg (267.76 KiB) Viewed 286 times
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Previous

Return to General Chat