Have started building high-end wall-mounted record shelves

Have started building high-end wall-mounted record shelves

Postby deepcutrich » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum (one of my record store guys turned me on to it). I wanted to see if anyone was interested in providing feedback on these record shelves my cousin, my brother, and I have started building. I went looking for something like this when my dog got to some of my records (being stored low), but couldn't find anything that checked all these boxes:

Handmade with quality materials (not IKEA stuff)
Wall-mounted to get the collection up at eye-level
Assembly-free and easy install for those without skill (me)
Clean design that fits in a range of decors
Scalable so you can add when you need more space

Most options do some of that, but we couldn't find anything that was all of those things. Would love to hear what you guys think about the design, price, idea, system, etc. Not trying to push anything on anybody, just hoping for good honest feedback from collectors whether it is good, bad, or otherwise. Since this is a vpi audience, I know I'm talking to people with good taste. Advice of any kind welcome also.
We're raising money on Indiegogo so we can buy some key tools and equipment and do some upgrades to the shop. Here's that page which has pricing etc. on it: https://igg.me/at/deepcutindiegogo

Again, I'm new to the forum, so hopefully this is okay. If it isn't, my apologies.

Thanks either way!
deepcutrich

Re: Have started building high-end wall-mounted record shelv

Postby Golear » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Nice idea. I like the joint.

Is there a lacquer finish? Or is it unfinished?

How confident are you that the glue will hold? Perhaps you could reassure us with a write up and pics of tests done to failure?

What are the shipping costs? Could that up the price by a significant amount?

How about some stylish slots/cut-outs on the sides, that will allow us to move a shelf with the LPs still inside?

Good luck!
Golear

Postby deepcutrich » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the response. Some good questions and points in here.

We're currently using two coats of wipe on poly as a protectant (hand buffed with a very fine sandpaper), but we want to do as little to alter the natural look of the wood as possible while still protecting it.

We are extremely confident in the glue joint. We've used a miter fold joint which allows for a really good amount of surface area contact along with a strong adhesive. And yes, a formal write up of the exhaustive testing actually sounds like a great idea to provide re-assurance. I will tell you quickly though that we've got long term tests that have been underway for several months now (units full of records sitting in place) that have also been given stress tests (my cousin has hung from them for example, we've hung weights from them in addition to their existing load, etc.). We've yet to push it to actual breaking point (though perhaps we should set out with that as the intention), but the tests we've done so far should be far more extreme than any likely real-life scenario. You didn't ask about this specifically, but the other part of testing we've focused on is the mounting of the wall cleat and insuring that it can handle a potentially 75+ pound unit easily. My cousin (heading up the design and building) used to frame houses in addition to his carpentry background and also worked with his friend, an architectural engineer, to make sure that our affixing method and hardware were capable of well above what would be needed. As I write this, it just convinces me even more how important it will be to formally document all of the "how" behind these answers. Appreciate you bringing that up in that way.

Shipping cost currently is sitting just under $40 per unit with a slightly better buy when shipping two units (that is the only quantity that adds efficiency). Since we've decided to go with fully assembled for convenience and for our specific design, it certainly hurts in the shipping department. We're going to work on getting that down, but we'd still prefer that to ramifications of flat-packing. So yes, it isn't insignificant.

The idea about cut outs on the side is an interesting one. We've tried to keep at as clean an minimalist as possible, but that is a nice idea for convenience. Worth thinking about...

Really appreciate the feedback and the ideas. Glad you like the look and idea! Thanks
deepcutrich

Postby bdp24 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 am

If I may make a criticism? The space across the cube is imo too wide---the combined LP weight places too much pressure on each record. A divider in the middle---even just a thin one (1/8-1/4")---would solve that problem.
bdp24

Postby deepcutrich » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 am

No worries at all, that's what I'm here for. Good to know. We haven't run into that specific feedback, but that wouldn't be a difficult addition to the design as you said. That would also be potentially helpful when the owner has a small quantity of records and can't fill a significant portion of the space. Currently, the internal width is 13 1/2 inches wide which generally will fit 60+ records. Would you say your not comfortable with more than a grouping of, say, 30 records in one "zone"?
Thanks for the feedback!
deepcutrich

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:27 pm

From a decor standpoint, I am not a big fan of the wall support brace extending beyond the cabinet side walls. It looks unfinished IMHO
Brf
Site Admin

Postby deepcutrich » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:47 pm

That's fair and you are not the first to say that. The wall cleat extends beyond the shelf for a few reasons, some aesthetic, some functional. It seems a little polarizing with some people liking the little accent/character, and some thinking it ruins the clean look. We will likely end up with a variation in which the wall cleat doesn't extend beyond the sides as it seems to be enough people to warrant that option. Thanks for sharing.
deepcutrich

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:51 pm

I’ll be honest and say that this type of product is not for me. But I’m sure those living in apartments with limited space will appreciate it. Good luck.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Congrats on your new business and they look great! IMHO your target market is someone just getting into vinyl. Most of us here have hundreds to thousands of LPs so wall mounting is not really a possibility. I could see buying one for my new incoming albums though. Best of luck with your new endeavor!
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby deepcutrich » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Tried to reply to each of these individually but couldn't see a way to do it. For the "not for me, but good for apartments/smaller spaces", point taken and could be some truth to that. What is your current set up / storage situation if I may ask? Just interested in knowing what people are currently using.

For the "maybe for new users, most of us have hundreds and over 1,000", again, that's valid. This isn't great for large collections, at least not to hold all of them. Perhaps if you had a combination going, which I have seen. Anyway, I agree that our core audience is probably more the about to buy a record up to 500 or so. At least with this first product.

On the comment about "maybe for new incoming albums", that's a great comment! I actually was just talking to a person with a 10,000+ collection who mentioned using these in a similar way (e.g. new arrivals or picks of the moment kind of thing). I like that idea. Though to be fair, I know nothing of what it would be like to have a 10,000+ collection or even a 500 record collection, as a lowly but proud owner of 260ish.

Thanks again everyone. Keep it coming. Good bad or otherwise. Love to hear it all.
deepcutrich

Next

Return to General Chat