SoundStage Direct

SoundStage Direct

Postby adeep42 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:14 pm

In another thread gene9p said SoundStage is open and under new management. Does anyone have any more info. I really enjoyed dealing with them, especially Seth. Over time, I bought lots of vinyl and three VPI turntables. I'm devastated!!
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
User avatar
adeep42
Senior Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby Johnny » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:53 pm

VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.
Johnny
Senior Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 am

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby gene9p » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 pm

that's too bad, ..I wonder what happened.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
User avatar
gene9p
Senior Member
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 am

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby suntea » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:39 am

Johnny wrote:VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.

The SS website still list all the VPI tables.

I notice they have not sent out any emails for the past week or so. Usually get 1 per day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
User avatar
suntea
Senior Member
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby DeeCee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 am

suntea wrote:
Johnny wrote:VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.

The SS website still list all the VPI tables.

I notice they have not sent out any emails for the past week or so. Usually get 1 per day.

Same here... rumor says they're under new management, but they've been radio silent, so to speak.
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
User avatar
DeeCee
Senior Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby mreeter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:23 am

Johnny wrote:VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.


This has to hurt, I think SSD was VPI's largest Dealer at one time.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
User avatar
mreeter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby Johnny » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:57 am

mreeter wrote:
Johnny wrote:VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.


This has to hurt, I think SSD was VPI's largest Dealer at one time.


I've heard from more than one VPI dealer that SSD was discounting equipment beyond the terms of their distribution agreement, selling out of territory, plus some other shady practices. This in turn had a negative affect on the product's perceived value and the retail vendor's ability to make a reasonable profit required to stay in business.

I remember a thread that was deleted in which VPI stated that their "Reference" line tables would not be available through online vendors. I can only assume that SSD pressured VPI to reverse their position due to their sales volume.

Although this is bad news for us the consumer (I was a huge benefactor of SSD's aggressive pricing strategy) I think in the long run it will benefit VPI and its distribution network by creating more price stability and longer term value of owning a VPI table.

For those of you who have made a deposit on items not yet received, I urge you to file a claim with you credit card company without delay. Under the terms of your credit card agreement, you are protected but there is a time limit in which you can file (I believe it to be 120 days).
Johnny
Senior Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:26 am

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby mreeter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:49 am

Johnny wrote:
mreeter wrote:
Johnny wrote:VPI no longer list SoundStageDirect as an authorized VPI dealer.


This has to hurt, I think SSD was VPI's largest Dealer at one time.


I've heard from more than one VPI dealer that SSD was discounting equipment beyond the terms of their distribution agreement, selling out of territory, plus some other shady practices. This in turn had a negative affect on the product's perceived value and the retail vendor's ability to make a reasonable profit required to stay in business.

I remember a thread that was deleted in which VPI stated that their "Reference" line tables would not be available through online vendors. I can only assume that SSD pressured VPI to reverse their position due to their sales volume.

Although this is bad news for us the consumer (I was a huge benefactor of SSD's aggressive pricing strategy) I think in the long run it will benefit VPI and its distribution network by creating more price stability and longer term value of owning a VPI table.

For those of you who have made a deposit on items not yet received, I urge you to file a claim with you credit card company without delay. Under the terms of your credit card agreement, you are protected but there is a time limit in which you can file (I believe it to be 120 days).


I assumed this was the case, and VPI is (was) just one of the MANY products that SSD offered. I would imagine there are more than a few Brands that are holding some 'I OWE YOU's' from SSD.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
User avatar
mreeter
Senior Member
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 am

I have come back to VPI after a 30 year hiatus. I was fortunate 30+ years ago to sell VPI products, as well as Clearaudio, Souther, Dynavector, New York Audio Labs, and a few others. This was a hobby level activity, in my spare time. It was not my livelihood.

Recently, when I needed a lighter counterweight for my JMW 10 3D Printed tonearm, since there are no dealers near me, I called VPI. They would not sell me one, but referred me to one of the internet dealers.

I googled and quickly discovered that the recommended dealer did not stock what I wanted.
So I looked at other internet dealers, and that is how I found SSD. They did not stock most of my order, but they had the counterweight. So I gave them the full order. They intended to delay shipment of the counterweight until the other stuff was delivered to them. After several days I figured out that this was what was going on. So I left both voice and email “messages of encouragement.”

They split the order and I got the counterweight a few days later. The rest arrived after about two more weeks.

I recently contacted another small dealer over the Internet to try to buy a dual pivot kit. None in stock. And VPI will not drop ship to support these guys. So I had to chase around with other dealers until I found a guy with one in stock.

My point, I guess, is that this is a rough business. There aren’t that many serious customers. The margins are small. Models are modified so often that dealers don’t want to stock spare parts that are not useful for several models. And VPI won’t drop ship.

It would be nice if, for customers with no dealers within 50 miles, VPI would allow direct ordering at full retail and with customer payed shipping. That would not undercut legitimate local dealers. And it would be great support for the boondocks based VPI aficionados, like me.
Peer Gynt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: SoundStage Direct

Postby adeep42 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:37 am

Another SSD possible internal and financial problem, Seth's very aggressive trade-in policies might have left him with a huge and hard to move out inventory of used turntables and other components. This could very likely lead to a financial implosion.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
User avatar
adeep42
Senior Member
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x