In defense of analog

In defense of analog

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:33 pm

Preaching to the choir here, of course. But it's an interesting read none-the-less: https://www.fairobserver.com/more/scien ... FX7xzN8M8U
table: VPI SSM Reference
arm: JMW Memorial
cartridge: Hana Shibata SL
phono pre: Nagra BPS
recording device: Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 HGC
amp: Benchmark AHB2
speakers: KEF LS50 + SVS SB16-Ultra
Fast-n-Bulbous

Re: In defense of analog

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:30 am

Just so that you know that someone read your link, I’m posting to confirm that I did.

As an aside, the bias against engineers may be fair on average ... stereotyping saves time ..., but it is not generally correct. There are many engineers who can discern differences, even when the experiments go contrary to “scientific” explanation.

Overall I liked it though. Also, like Neil young, I’m a fan of D-45s, as well as Toy Trains. Don’t say NY is not an “engineer” at heart. He does have “the cap.” :-)
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:34 pm

And Neil certainly does not compromise quality when it comes to reissues of his vinyl. Every NYA repress I've purchased has been some of the nicest quality vinyl in my collection. The only other artist with that kind of integrity when it comes to quality control, from soup to nuts, that I've come across is Gillian Welch/Acony.
table: VPI SSM Reference
arm: JMW Memorial
cartridge: Hana Shibata SL
phono pre: Nagra BPS
recording device: Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 HGC
amp: Benchmark AHB2
speakers: KEF LS50 + SVS SB16-Ultra
Fast-n-Bulbous

Postby Golear » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 pm

Wow! Many thanks for highlighting the article.

Many, many years ago, HP suggested in The Absolute Sound that while digital got the frequency domain correct, it lost info in the phase (or time) domain. He didn't have the science to back it up. But this article seems to have some interesting ideas. We do need some sort of revolution in music playback....

About digital sound: there's one area where it wins, hands down. That's in the telecom field. In the early days, analog signals needed to be boosted along the way, with expensive amps. It made "Long Distance" a special feature. And it wasn't without problems - regardless of what amp they used, there was more and more noise in the signal. Digitizing the signal allowed the phone companies to slash the costs. And not pick up noise at each repeater stage.

But that doesn't make the technology suitable for hifi. When engineers bring up their objections to analog, tell them they're making an assumption: that we hear sound the same way that a microphone picks up sound. I think that needs to be proven.
Golear

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Leo Fender worked in analog telecommunications and some of his early amp designs came from those amps you mention. So those who enjoy vintage Fender live sound can thank those booster amps.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby tony22 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:01 am

Peer Gynt wrote:As an aside, the bias against engineers may be fair on average ... stereotyping saves time ..., but it is not generally correct. There are many engineers who can discern differences, even when the experiments go contrary to “scientific” explanation.

Thanks for mentioning that, PG. As an electrical engineer by profession, I’m in the “I can tell the difference” camp. :mrgreen:
Pass XP-20, XP-17, X260.8 monos, Von Schweikert Endeavor SE, PS Audio PST & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal, Benz LPS, VAS, SS, & Ortofon carts, Sonore ultraRendu & Matrix XSPDIF-2, PS Audio P20, Masterbuilt and Iconoclast cables.
tony22

-

Postby KevinZeway » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:57 am

but the solution wasnt found before the problem made itself a not-problem anymore. so i pretty much abandoned the issue.

thanks though, the feedback on the makers is appreciated.
KevinZeway

Return to General Chat