SPEC AP-UD1 TURNTABLE MAT

Re: SPEC AP-UD1 TURNTABLE MAT

Postby jpb6061 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 am

Probably not... Hey it's cheaper than the Stillpoints LPI and to my ears does a lot more! I'm sure you could sell it for minimal loss if you didn't like it. FWIW I smile every time the needle drops now, and I'm digging out some moldy oldies like Uria Heep that haven't seen daylight in forty years!

I looked up the importer, perhaps they could offer some assistance as to whether anyone stocks or demos this mat.

http://www.toneimports.com/

JB
jpb6061

Postby Dizastical » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:50 am

jpb6061 wrote:Probably not... Hey it's cheaper than the Stillpoints LPI and to my ears does a lot more! I'm sure you could sell it for minimal loss if you didn't like it. FWIW I smile every time the needle drops now, and I'm digging out some moldy oldies like Uria Heep that haven't seen daylight in forty years!

I looked up the importer, perhaps they could offer some assistance as to whether anyone stocks or demos this mat.

http://www.toneimports.com/

JB

Thanks for the info! I just ordered one off eBay. Hopefully it sounds as good as you say! Very excited to try it out and compare it to my Pro-Ject Leather It mat.

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby jpb6061 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Can't wait for your evaluation!

JB
jpb6061

Postby Dizastical » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm

jpb6061 wrote:Can't wait for your evaluation!

JB

I’m not going to comment on the sound quality of this mat YET. I have two questions.
1) the mat gets stuck on the inside of my periphery ring when I pick it up off the LP. I do have upgraded felt on the inner rim that covers the full 360* of the inner periphery surface so I’m sure that’s the problem. Does yours do the same?
2) the mat is slightly bigger diameter wise than an LP. This causes the LP to sit so flush to the mat that I have to use my fingernails to lift the LP off the mat. Do you experience this as well?

Full review to come after more listening!

Dave
VPI Prime Modded/ VAS NOVA Signature / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Herron VTPH-2A / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Furutech Power Cords / Audio Sensibility Interconnects / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT
Dizastical

Postby jpb6061 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:24 pm

I don't have the periphery ring problem because I still have the short strips of felt.

The mat does want to come up with most of the records I've played, but I've gotten used to separating it with a fingernail if it does. So far the benefit outweighs the annoyance factor! Face it, much of the LP playing process could be considered annoying by any sane rational person....
jpb6061

Postby Dizastical » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm

Many thanks for the reply! You’re right it is a small annoyance for what you gain in sound quality from what I’ve heard so far. If I leave the Stillpoints on the LP and lift the ring, the mat does tend to stay put better. I’m sure I’ll get used to the new process. Thanks again!

Dave
Dizastical

Previous

Return to General Chat