Scoutmaster 1.75 Solid Acrylic Platter

Scoutmaster 1.75 Solid Acrylic Platter

Postby TychoBrown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a Scoutmaster 1.75 Solid Acrylic Platter for purchase? I'm looking to upgrade my Aries Scout to the thicker platter and haven't been able to find one.

Regards,
Chris
TychoBrown

Re: Scoutmaster 1.75 Solid Acrylic Platter

Postby Brf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Have you considered the Classic platter?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby TychoBrown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Yes, I understand the benefits otherwise, but am partial to the Acrylic.

Regards,
Chris
TychoBrown

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:03 pm

They tend to come available frequently as people upgrade to the Classic platter. You just need to keep an eye on Audiogon, USA Audio Mart and eBay. I'd say there's at least one every few months. They tend to be about $250-350. Once you upgrade, contact VPI and get the tonearm spacer and junction box that comes with the Classic platter upgrade otherwise your arm might end up maxxed out on height due to the extra platter thickness. It was around $30 for the parts when I did it a few years back.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby TychoBrown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks, good information. This is right in line with what I expected the cost to be. I was wondering about the need for a spacer/arm extension as well. I've been watching eBay, but not the others so I'll add them to the list.

Regards,
Chris
TychoBrown

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 pm

I meant to say Junction Box mount. The junction box moves from being screwed to the plinth to a metal bracket to lift it up.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Ryan Speakers R630, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby TychoBrown » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Brf wrote:Have you considered the Classic platter?

After looking around and thinking about it more, I did finally decide to upgrade to the Classic platter. The 2" Aluminum is on order.
TychoBrown

Postby Brf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:32 pm

TychoBrown wrote:
Brf wrote:Have you considered the Classic platter?

After looking around and thinking about it more, I did finally decide to upgrade to the Classic platter. The 2" Aluminum is on order.

Good move. Don't forget to order a tonearm spacer to account for the additional platter height.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jpb6061 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 pm

iI tried to PM you, but failed.....

I saw your post looking for a platter. I just found a Super Platter for my Super Scoutmaster, and would sell the acrylic platter if you want it for $300.00 including shipping. It sounded great; I just always wanted a Super Platter. I too like the acrylic platter, and judging from the improvement I heard with the Super Platter, you won't be sorry with this one over the thinner one. I think the mass is a large part of the improvement. If you need the inverted bearing, I'll include that as well.

Additional pix (better quality!) available upon request.

Isn't it fun owning a VPI? Being a small manufacturer, I applaud Harry and Mat for making a superior product and continually offering upgrades that virtually allow us to have near state-of-the-art performance on an ongoing basis. IT IS NOT EASY!

If some of the posters on this forum really understood the realities of the manufacturing biz, they would not complain about price, availability, or communication from VPI!
Attachments
VPI SSM.jpg
CRAPPY PICTURE OF VPI SSM!
VPI SSM.jpg (325.48 KiB) Viewed 553 times
jpb6061

Postby TychoBrown » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Sorry I missed your note. Thank you for the offer. I decided to go with the 2" Aluminum platter after mulling things over, so I'll pass on the acrylic platter for now. While I like the look of the Acrylic platter, I was finally swayed by the specs and others experience.

I agree that VPI makes a great quality product and as a small company does a very good job with support/comms. I do feel they need to spend more time in the documentation department for upgrades and overall parts specifications. As a business owner and manufacture myself, I find that the more documentation you have, the less you need to spend on support. Of course nothing is cut and dry in this department and there is always a trade off and never seem to be enough people, so I'm not going to be overly critical.

I should be rolling with a new platter next week.

Regards,
Chris.
jpb6061 wrote:iI tried to PM you, but failed.....

I saw your post looking for a platter. I just found a Super Platter for my Super Scoutmaster, and would sell the acrylic platter if you want it for $300.00 including shipping. It sounded great; I just always wanted a Super Platter. I too like the acrylic platter, and judging from the improvement I heard with the Super Platter, you won't be sorry with this one over the thinner one. I think the mass is a large part of the improvement. If you need the inverted bearing, I'll include that as well.

Additional pix (better quality!) available upon request.

Isn't it fun owning a VPI? Being a small manufacturer, I applaud Harry and Mat for making a superior product and continually offering upgrades that virtually allow us to have near state-of-the-art performance on an ongoing basis. IT IS NOT EASY!

If some of the posters on this forum really understood the realities of the manufacturing biz, they would not complain about price, availability, or communication from VPI!
TychoBrown

Next

Return to General Chat