Screw down clamp with thick mat

Screw down clamp with thick mat

Postby NJdiyer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:30 am

Those with the screw down clamp, in my case the stainless steel version, have noticed that it won’t work with a thick platter mat, such as the .25 inch thick Funk Firm Achromat. To make the threads engage, I attached a .25 inch thick 1/4-20 nut to the clamp with plumbers epoxy putty. I had my doubts that the bond would be strong enough, but it’s holding up great! I first cleaned the mating surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Then, I threaded the nut onto a bolt about a half inch, then placed a ring of putty on the nut. Then I screwed the bolt into the clamp and then hand tightened the nut down, which squeezed out some of the putty, which I pressed along the sides with a putty knife. After 30 minutes, I unscrewed the bolt. Then I cleaned up the threads with a 1/4-20 tap. In use, I was still running out of spindle threads with thin records, so I put some pads on the clamp as shown. I also swapped the supplied rubber washer with a slightly thicker one from some plumbing part. I’m very happy with the results. I also much prefer the screw down clamp over the weighted clamp, which doesn’t always mate the record with platter, plus it’s very difficult to center it because the hole is oversized.

VPI may want to consider providing a wider range of clamping height. My solution for existing clamps works well.
Attachments
A218F420-B84B-420B-AD5F-79BAEDBF7047.jpeg
A218F420-B84B-420B-AD5F-79BAEDBF7047.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 317 times
NJdiyer

Return to Support Forum