Periphery Outer Ring and Record Mats

Re: Periphery Outer Ring and Record Mats

Postby Brf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 pm

roboss38 wrote:Not to ask a stupid question, but here goes. Does the mat go over the rubber washer on the platter, or does the rubber washer get removed, mat added, washer put back on? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

The rubber washer always goes on top of the mat when using a reflex clamp.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm

OK guys I replaced my 5mm Boston Audio Mat2 with a 3mm Achromat and I still don't think things look right. Even with what feels like the ring firmly in place, I'm sure I still see the ring undulating a little. Check out this video and tell me what you think please. I don't think it is related to the slight platter rocking I mentioned in this other thread, as the platter itself looks rock solid to me. I think its the ring. Any suggestions please?

Edit: the record being played in that video has quite a pronounced outer edge warp. With the ring on, it's greatly reduced. Playing another record that only has a minor edge warp, I don't see the undulation. Is this expected behavior?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Dorian wrote:Edit: the record being played in that video has quite a pronounced outer edge warp. With the ring on, it's greatly reduced. Playing another record that only has a minor edge warp, I don't see the undulation. Is this expected behavior?

I don't know if it's expected behavior but it certainly mirrors my experience.
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks Jonathan. Perhaps the ring is solidly in place and the warped record still undulates a little underneath it. I guess this makes sense for a pronounced outer warp, as the ring may not be heavy enough to completely flatten the edges all the way around.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Just been listening to one of my reference records for the last hour and I am hearing a noticeable improvement in detail. Unclear if due to the ring, the new Achromat or both, as I installed them at the same time. Nice improvement though!
Dorian

Postby Cat5plus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Dorian, Am I not viewing your video correctly ? Is that your camera that is moving? or is the turntable plinth actually moving when the platter is spinning? If it is the plinth, then I would think you have a real problem. I can't believe that is the case? It has got to be the camera right? The only reason I ask is that nothing in the background appears to be moving Only the turntable.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby thegage » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Looks normal to me. Most LPs aren't completely flat, so there will be high and low points where the ring is higher/lower.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Previous

Return to Support Forum