Protecting wood from Classic Signature feet

Re: Protecting wood from Classic Signature feet

Postby 10ovr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 pm

JohnCh wrote:I think I'll start with the SS washers I ordered, bevel the edges if they're sharp, and experiment from there. I would have loved to use Tiger Maple, but I couldn't find a local supplier, and quite frankly, was afraid to see the final price. I'm a novice meaning there was a good chance I would screw this up, so wanted to limit my exposure. And full disclosure after the compliments, I had the lumber supplier do the glue-ups for the shelves since I don't have a jointer/planer. I simply cut the radiused fronts, did the legs and rear panels, and finish work.

-John

You did a fine job,,You need to sign and date the bottom ,,Looks like it well be around long after your gone :D
10ovr

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am

10ovr wrote:
Brf wrote:
10ovr wrote:Nice job,Love to see good wood work,, My Prime marred the crap out of my maple rack,,Those little bearings just sink into the finish,,,An option mite be to make some maple squares 4"x4" or so ,Finish them and add a little felt on the bottom,Put the feet on top of them,,, Just a thought,,

Is your maple rack made from hard rock/sugar maple? Hard Rock Maple is almost twice as hard when compared to regular maple. I have a hard rock maple platform that has an 80lbs amplifier with bdr cone footers - no dents.

I made my rack out of Tiger Maple,Not sure if it is as hard as hard rock or sugar maple,,One way to find out is to take some scrap ,finish it and test it,Better to be safe then sorry ,,Those little bearings are murder :lol:

I would love to see a picture of your rack! BTW, Tiger Maple is a soft maple but has excellent damping properties.

Maybe we should start a "show your rack" picture thread?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby mreeter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 am

JohnCh wrote:Thanks, Brent. It's Hard Maple (supplier claims 1450 on the Janka scale). Given how much time and money I've invested in this (200 lbs of Hard Maple ain't cheap) I'm a little more protective of it than I expected, hence my paranoia.

The lighting in the garage is playing havoc with the photos, so not a great representation of the finish, but gives an idea of the general shape and size. Here is a front shot that shows the closed back, which hides the cables and front wall from view. Can't weight to get this schlepped into the house and see if it makes a difference to the sound. I currently have a Salamander double rack, so I'm guessing it won't be any worse.

-John

Beautiful Rack and Workmanship!!!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby JohnCh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 am

Brf wrote:Maybe we should start a "show your rack" picture thread?

That's a great idea, or perhaps even expand it to cover your listening space? I dug through both types of threads on various forums to find inspiration for my design; it's always interesting to see how others do things. A friend is stopping by Sunday to help me get the rack into the house and raise the wall mounted TV about 5" to compensate for the increased height compared to the outgoing Salamander. I'll take photos once I have the equipment in place and am happy to contribute to the thread. And mreeter, given your signature, I think you'll appreciate the preamp that will be front and center ;)

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby 10ovr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am

Maybe we should start a "show your rack" picture thread?,,,,,,,That could go south fast :shock: LOL
10ovr

Postby 10ovr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

So lets see some PIX of this puppy with your gear in it .... :D
10ovr

Postby Stringreen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 am

Anyone that makes spikes has a disc that will protect your wood Mine come from Audiopoints....but there are many on the market.
Stringreen

Postby JohnCh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

The 3" SS washers with 1/4" center from McMaster Carr work perfectly. One side has rounded edges to protect the wood and the diameter is nearly a perfect fit for the bottom of the Classic Signature feet. Here are a couple of photos of the rack in place. And before anyone says that Maggies need to be further out in the room to work, the location shown is for TV and to keep out of the dogs' way :-) The blue tape in the foreground are the marks for the speakers when listening to music with either the tweeters in or the tweeters out.

-John
Attachments
rack in place 2 (3).jpg
rack in place 2 (3).jpg (354.17 KiB) Viewed 456 times
rack in place 1 (2).jpg
rack in place 1 (2).jpg (383.28 KiB) Viewed 456 times
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby 10ovr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Looks great,, Im going to build the same as yours,, :D
10ovr

Postby JohnCh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 am

10ovr, feel free to shoot me a pm if you want any details. There are some aspects of the design that aren't covered here that may interest you.

-John
JohnCh

Previous

Return to Support Forum