Mk IV Platter and Phantom Tonearm

Re: Mk IV Platter and Phantom Tonearm

Postby Brf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 am

bdp24 wrote:Tirebiter, may I ask about the thread you are using in place of the rubber belt? What type thread is it, and is there a certain knot that is preferred for this application? The TNT bearing installation on my HW-19 will reach completion tomorrow/Sunday (pics and description to be posted on the appropriate thread here on the VPI Forum), and I may try thread with my TNT-3/4 platter as well.

When I ran a belt drive, I used 4-0 surgical silk, which can be had at any medical supply store. You will need to learn to tie either a blood knot or the Micro Seiki knot.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Tirebiter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am

Cat gut.....my neighbor is a retired Doc and she happened to have a couple of emergency suture kits on hand. The knot is a simple overhand (typically used to tie off the end of a rope to prevent fraying) but instead of one end, the thread is looped and both ends are put parallel to each other and tied into an overhand together. Pull taught and trim the ends short.

I think most people use silk. Google turntable silk thread and you will find the info. I even tried polyester sewing thread and it works plus you have a rainbow of colors to choose from! ;)

As a side note, the Mk IV is only 11.5" in diameter so with the regular drive motor pulley and rubber belt, the rotation is a little over 4% fast (34.7 rpm) as confirmed by RPM (an iPhone app) and measurement of a test record 1,000hz freq which read out in the range of 1,050hz. I used Toolbox Pro to measure frequency and is another iPhone app. With the smaller diameter thread, the rotational speed is reduced to about 33.5 rpm...tolerable for the time being.
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby Brf » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Typically, you will need a motor controller if using a thread drive system due to the thread’s smaller diameter which will ride lower in the pulley groove which translate to a slower speed.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Tirebiter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm

Brf wrote:Typically, you will need a motor controller if using a thread drive system due to the thread’s smaller diameter which will ride lower in the pulley groove which translate to a slower speed.

To achieve perfection, the list of equipment needs seems to be endless.... ;)
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby bdp24 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am

Great, thanks fellers. Both my VPI platters are 11.5", and both motors have the correct pulley for that size platter.
bdp24

Previous

Return to Support Forum