Classic I Motor Noise

Classic I Motor Noise

Postby WaxSpinner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 am

I've had my Classic 1 for about two-and-a-half years. The motor has always been unusually loud - but after about the first six months, it began making a huge racket; whirring loudly, grinding and clacking. I was instructed by a VPI tech to remove the black plastic flange to which the belt is attached, loosen and remove the brass collar beneath it, clean up the area around the base of the "spinner" (my word) and apply a drop of oil (can't remember the brand they recommended, but that's what I used.)

When that effort did not work, the tech suggested that I use lithium grease as a lubricant instead. This solution was pretty effective - although every three or four months, the same problem would arise, and I would have to repeat the process. Unfortunately, the motor noise has now returned, and the usual process of cleaning and re-lubricating is not working. And when I say "motor noise", I mean it's really noisy. If you stand ten feet back from the turntable you can clearly and loudly here the "Wrrrrrrr, tak-tak-tak-tak-tak, wrrrrr" sound. It seems like all the money I spent on the VPI SDS, quality interconnects, etc is pretty much wasted when the turntable motor is rattling like a cement truck...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if so, if they ever figured out a solution.

Thanks much,
WaxSpinner

Re: Classic I Motor Noise

Postby thegage » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm

If this is an early Classic with the motor to the front (non 24v) it could be that the motor capacitor is going bad or has a poor connection.
thegage

Postby Mat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Hey Waxspinner,

What thegage would be a possibility if it is an older classic that you bought used. If your table is a newer model my first question would be if there is vertical play in your pulley? There is a bushing in the pulley and if that has gotten loose then you'll have some vertical movement and it could be what is causing the noise. Let us know and w'ell help get you back to listening minus the noise! :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby WaxSpinner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:06 am

Gents,

Thegage - it is a first generation Classic I that I bought new (it may be as long as three years ago now). When I later purchased the SDS, VPI sent me an upgraded capacitor which allowed the platter to spin without being manually pushed to start (with the SDS attached, apparently the stock capacitor did not supply sufficient power.) The intermittent noise problem, however, was evident both before and after replacement of the capacitor. Also, it's definitely a "mechanical" sound emanating directly from the motor...though I suppose a short or other electrical interference could produce mechanical anomalies.

Matt - The plastic pulley and all associated parts are solid..no play at all. I make sure to gently lift the rotating pin and secure it in a raised position with the brass collar before replacing the plastic pulley. When I turn on the 'table, the motor does a little "stutter step." It gives a quick quarter turn - pauses for a half second - then commences to spin.

The noise has been subsided a bit over the past day. You now have to be within three or four feet of it to hear the "thwak, thwak, thwak..." How much noise are these guys supposed to make? I recall reading a review that said you could barely hear it with your ear pressed against the side of the machine - which is definitely not the case here.

Anyway, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this thing in good working order before I upgrade to a Classic 3 :)
WaxSpinner

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Call Jason on Monday and tell him to send you a tube of PTFE Super Lube. The lube goes below the brass collar onto the motor shaft. Use one drop, turn on and run the table for an hour and see if it is gone.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby WaxSpinner » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks Harry - that's actually just what I've been doing. Every six months or so, when the noise kicks in, I clean up the area under the brass collar, and I apply a drop of Super Lube at the base of the motor shaft (as recommended to me previously by VPI). I also understand that the shaft has to be raised before replacing the collar. Up until now, this has been an effective solution.

Unfortunately, this strategy no longer works. I've cleaned it up, applied the Super Lube, and spun lots of (noisy) records. It seems like this time the motor may be simply failing...
WaxSpinner

Postby macster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Get a stethoscope and use it to trouble shoot your noise problem. Take the motor out of the plinth and listen to it while it's running with the scope. You will know where to go from there. Most likely it's a motor problem. You may be able to lube it more efficiently if you take it out of the plinth Finally the stethoscope will make this a lot easier for you to locate the problematic area of the motor/etc. I got my scope from Ebay. At the worst you'll have to replace the motor which is quick and easy.

Hope this helps.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby WaxSpinner » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Awesome - thanks Macster. I'm glad to know that if need be, the motor replacement operation will not be too hard!
WaxSpinner

Postby Vinylmusic » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:27 am

Hi all,

I'm based in Singapore and have just exchanged a Pro-ject Xtension 12 for a VPI Classic 1 and while I was really pleased with the playback sound, I'm also experiencing the motor's whrrr noise that MaxSpinner described. I have not yet tried to clean up the spinner but good to know how you all eventually resolve this only issue.

Thanks,
Edmund
Vinylmusic

Return to Support Forum