Benz Micro Ebony H on SSM Ref

Benz Micro Ebony H on SSM Ref

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of a previously owned Super Scout Master Reference. The table came with a Benz Ebony H mounted on it that looks as though it's seen better days. The store I purchased it from checked the tip and said I would be best off replacing it.

My local dealer can get me a rebuilt Ebony H as a trade in for $1500. I'm considering either doing that or trying out the Hana Shibata that everyone has been going nuts over.

Searching through the forums, I've heard of some folks having issues with their periphery ring clamps interfering with the tracking of their Benz cartridges. I'm not too concerned of this as it appears the previous owner was able to get this one working fine. Plus, my dealer said they would install the Benz if I bring my table in.

Which cartridge would be the best match for this table and provide the best bang for the buck? I'm using a Nagra BPS and let's just say my musical tastes run the gamut.

Thanks in advance!
Fast-n-Bulbous

Re: Benz Micro Ebony H on SSM Ref

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

ElusiveDisc still has some pretty decent trade in deals on Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII and MIMC.

That being said, I would probably order a $20 Audio Technica from Amazon to trade in as they say ANY cartridge working or not.

They also have the same deal on the Hana line.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby tom collins » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

for that step up price or a retip- stick with that benz.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby elader » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 am

get the benz rebuilt for $500
VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies all. Elader, I wish that was the price for the Benz! ;-)

Spinblackcircle, those Soundsmith cartridges are tempting. I think I want to stick brick and mortar for this purchase. At this point I'm thinking of going forward with the Benz deal.
Fast-n-Bulbous

Postby 930turbo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 am

Fast-n-Bulbous wrote:Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of a previously owned Super Scout Master Reference. The table came with a Benz Ebony H mounted on it that looks as though it's seen better days. The store I purchased it from checked the tip and said I would be best off replacing it.

My local dealer can get me a rebuilt Ebony H as a trade in for $1500. I'm considering either doing that or trying out the Hana Shibata that everyone has been going nuts over.

Searching through the forums, I've heard of some folks having issues with their periphery ring clamps interfering with the tracking of their Benz cartridges. I'm not too concerned of this as it appears the previous owner was able to get this one working fine. Plus, my dealer said they would install the Benz if I bring my table in.

Which cartridge would be the best match for this table and provide the best bang for the buck? I'm using a Nagra BPS and let's just say my musical tastes run the gamut.

Thanks in advance!

If your using a VPI Periphery Ring clamp w/ a Benz Micro Ebony Cartridge might as well get another cartridge instead . The Benz Micro Cartridges ( the Swiss made higher models) have strong magnets w/c has strong attraction to the ring . I myself am using a Gullwing SLR and I’ve experienced it already. Very frightening.
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

930turbo wrote:If your using a VPI Periphery Ring clamp w/ a Benz Micro Ebony Cartridge might as well get another cartridge instead . The Benz Micro Cartridges ( the Swiss made higher models) have strong magnets w/c has strong attraction to the ring . I myself am using a Gullwing SLR and I’ve experienced it already. Very frightening.

Hi 930turbo,

Are you certain this issue is due to magnetization of the Benz cartridge being attracted to the periphery ring? I just placed a rare earth magnet on my ring and it slid right off. Also, the Ebony H is a MC cartridge, it shouldn't have a magnet in it.
table: VPI SSM Reference
arm: Reed 3Q, 10.5", Cocobolo
cartridge: Hana Shibata SL
phono pre: Nagra BPS
recording device: Sound Devices SD-702
preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 HGC
amp: Benchmark AHB2
speakers: KEF LS50 + SVS SB16-Ultra
Fast-n-Bulbous

Postby Stringreen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm

...really odd.....I have a Benz LPS MR and am using it with the 3D/Superscoutmaster.....no problem at all with the periph ring
Stringreen

Postby 930turbo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi Fast ,

Im sure its my Gullwing SLR in my TNT 6 w/ a Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA , I previously used a Koetsu Rosewood Standard and did not have any problem. Tried a Benz Micro S ACE L as well also had the same problem as my Gullwing SLR ( TNT 6 / Kuzma combo) . Im using a Lyra Kleos in my other turntable ( HR-X) no problem . Have not tried a Benz Ebony H however .
I have a newer periphery Ring clamp produced 2014 w/c came w/ my brand new HR-X and I tried it like wise w/ my TNT 6 and still there is a strong Magnetic attraction w/ my Gullwing . I tried my older PRC from my TNT 6 w/ the HR-X / Kleos combo no problem .

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 am

Well, Benz tells my dealer that they're out of the Ebony H at the moment, so I've gone with the Hana Shibata SL. My first low output MC. Had to move some jumpers and swap out the loads in my preamp but so far so good. The Hana is super silky on the highs, I can hear that straight away. Not disappointed at all. I've put the Benz away to replace another day.

FWIW, the first album I played with the new cartridge was Captain Beefheart's Shiny Beast, Bat Chain Puller. An old favorite of mine.
table: VPI SSM Reference
arm: Reed 3Q, 10.5", Cocobolo
cartridge: Hana Shibata SL
phono pre: Nagra BPS
recording device: Sound Devices SD-702
preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 HGC
amp: Benchmark AHB2
speakers: KEF LS50 + SVS SB16-Ultra
Fast-n-Bulbous

Return to Support Forum