Thump Once Per Revolution

Re: Thump Once Per Revolution

Postby Dorian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks everyone. I’ve had the table over a year now and haven’t lubed the bearing yet, so will start with that thanks Brf. Is it correct to use lithium grease on the Prime bearing, per this FAQ?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am

Dorian wrote:Thanks everyone. I’ve had the table over a year now and haven’t lubed the bearing yet, so will start with that thanks Brf. Is it correct to use lithium grease on the Prime bearing, per this FAQ?

Yes, use lithium grease.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks Brf. Is there any difference between the $30 VPI ‘magic lube’ and something like this?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Dorian wrote:Thanks Brf. Is there any difference between the $30 VPI ‘magic lube’ and something like this?

About $25 bucks LOL
10ovr

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Dorian wrote:Thanks Brf. Is there any difference between the $30 VPI ‘magic lube’ and something like this?

No they are not similar.

Magic lube is a synthetic grease whereas the Lucas grease is mineral based. I much prefer synthetic grease as mineral based grease breaks down over time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-3-oz-Tube-Synthetic-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-21030/202932687
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Excellent, thanks again Brf.
Dorian

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 pm

VPI Magic Lube is just this: https://www.grainger.com/product/SUPER-LUBE-White-PTFE-Multipurpose-Grease-45NA53

Yes, you read that right, 44 cents a tube. :evil:

The only magic is how the dealer makes that $30 disappear from your wallet into theirs.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby dizzio » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello Dorian. I’m following this thread with interest so I was wondering if you have resolved your problem.

Thanks,
Diz
dizzio

Postby thegage » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Is it? In my experience it appears that it is not the case. I have an older "syringe" of the VPI Magic Lube, as well as the Super Lube, and also older DuPont Teflon Bearing Grease (no longer available). In extended use (over a few months), both the Super Lube and the DuPont Teflon discolored, turning a tan/light brown; the VPI Magic has never discolored. I'm not a chemist, so I can't say whether formulations are the same or different, but they certainly don't seem to perform the same.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:18 pm

thegage wrote:

Is it? In my experience it appears that it is not the case. I have an older "syringe" of the VPI Magic Lube, as well as the Super Lube, and also older DuPont Teflon Bearing Grease (no longer available). In extended use (over a few months), both the Super Lube and the DuPont Teflon discolored, turning a tan/light brown; the VPI Magic has never discolored. I'm not a chemist, so I can't say whether formulations are the same or different, but they certainly don't seem to perform the same.

John K.

My assumption is made on Music Direct's Information page on the VPI Super Lube:

https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/vpi-super-magic-lube-bearing-grease

Which shows a picture of the 1cc packet of Super Lube. This is what I have been using and it has never discolored. I use it all over the house, so many uses.

Maybe Mat will chime in or let sleeping dogs lie....
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum