VPI counterweights not made to fit all VPI arms....?

VPI counterweights not made to fit all VPI arms....?

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi All,

So I ordered a 180g VPI Counterweight as I am trying to reduce the mass on my setup to allow for some improvement between the cartridge and tonearm compliance and am not able to get the new counterweight onto my 3D 10" tonearm. Did I need to order a special one to fit the 3D arm?

My assumption was that they all fit but taking a caliper and measuring the inside of both, my 160g does seem to be slightly bigger in diameter and the plastic ring seems to be a littler thicker on the new 180g weight. There is also an open screw hole on the other side of the 180g counterweight which I don't have on my original one. Any ideas what this would be used for?

I was hoping to get this done over the weekend but another TT project that will have to go on hold for now - I'll reach out to my dealer on Tuesday on their return after the holidays but thought I would run it by you guys to get some feedback in the meantime...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: VPI counterweights not made to fit all VPI arms....?

Postby audiom3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 pm

audiom3 wrote:http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9386&hilit=weight

Just read the post thanks and WOW :o - So now I have to go out and get sandpaper to manually fix something brand new that should fit from original manufacturing?!?! :shock:

I'll be sending this to VPI to fix for me as I am not good with DIY especially with something that I expected to work out of the box!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby audiom3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't blame ya. If it were me, I'd send them the weight. I know others in that thread were fine with sanding down their arms but why should you? You (or they) can get the same results by sanding down the (hidden) plastic insert in the weight.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
audiom3

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Indeed - I don’t trust myself to do it and I will simply leave it to the experts at VPI - just a shame that these things are not made accurately to just work on arrival, but what can ya do...?!
VinBob

Postby Stringreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Personally, I wouldn't alter anything.....I'd send it back to VPI and get the right one
Stringreen

Postby YoungDave » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:35 am

I can verify that not all counterweight will fit all arms. My original 12" JMW had a 0.5" diameter armstub. My current, 1st-gen 3d JMW 12 has a 0.870" armstub - far larger and no amount of trimming or sanding could possibly make the old weight fit. I doubt if anyone knows how many other armstub diameters have been used over the years, nor how many types of collets. My present 180g weight uses 2 O-rings inside the armstub hole, but I have seen references to delrin inserts on some weights - I imagine the delrin is superior. Those O-rings will really grab if they haven't been moved in a while...

That threaded hole you mention is for an additional screw-in weight in case 180g isn't enough - but that weight is mounted really low, and will hit the foot tower on an HRX unless the weight is right up near the pivot.
2004 HRX, heavyweight platter, 1st gen 3d arm, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector XV-1s, Manley Steelhead, DEQX
YoungDave

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:37 am

+1 with what YoungDave said. I (currently) have 5 arms. Not all weights fit all arms. Frustrating.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Dibbs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:20 pm

I am having the opposite problem. The counterweight that came with the Prime is a bit loose. I have to crank on the knob to get it to seat. I am using a Hana eH and ordered a 140g weight. It is WAY too slack and there is no way to tighten it enough.
JND
Dibbs

Postby gene9p » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 am

Dibbs wrote:I am having the opposite problem. The counterweight that came with the Prime is a bit loose. I have to crank on the knob to get it to seat. I am using a Hana eH and ordered a 140g weight. It is WAY too slack and there is no way to tighten it enough.
JND

put a little vinyl tape or plumbers tape on the arm and it will fit without doing any permanent physical alterations to arm or weight.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Next

Return to Support Forum