Problem with Shure V15 Type V-MR Cartridge

Problem with Shure V15 Type V-MR Cartridge

Postby juancitob30 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:13 pm

I just purchased an older Shure V15 type v-mr cartridge off of eBay a few months back. The seller confirmed with me that the cartridge was tested and was fine. I finally got around to purchasing a Jico Neo-SAS sapphire stylus for it, and when I first connected it, I was getting output from the right channel only and there was a heavy hum coming from the speakers. I took the cartridge off and used some deoxit on the cartridge pins and realigned everything and it sounded perfect.

This morning, I was trying to recheck all of my alignment and I removed the stylus from the cartridge for safety reasons. I went to play a record this afternoon, and the right channel was definitely louder than the left, and then all of a sudden I started getting a louder hum and eventually the left channel wasn't working properly again. I decided to then deoxit the pins again and the tonearm wire connectors as well. After realigning again, the cartridge was ok. Just to give some perspective, I have a VPI Scout and a Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amplifier. I recently received a MoFi studio phono preamp, which I am currently using, but that is not the issue as both the Sphinx and the Mofi produce the same results.

Other side notes to include - when I had the problem with the left channel going out and the hum, when I touched the loop tonearm wire with the VPI tonearm wire it was almost as if it made a static sound. This never happened before with other cartridges. Also, when I went to put the VPI alignment protractor on the platter to check the alignment again, a static charge clicked and the left channel was out. I really really like this cartridge/stylus combo and it sounds superb, so I am hoping it's not dying on me since it's an older cartridge. Any help would be appreciated!!!
juancitob30

Return to Support Forum