Advice on speaker refinishing needed

Advice on speaker refinishing needed

Postby Jprod » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:26 pm

117299C7-CDB8-4E14-93B0-35F689614A53.jpeg
117299C7-CDB8-4E14-93B0-35F689614A53.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 1663 times
Hello and merry Christmas to all! Without going into the gory details I spilled some touch up paint from a paint pen on top of my speaker and things went from bad to worse!! I wanted to cry. Here is a close up. The speaker is obviously functional but my eye goes there alll the time. I want to kick myself for my stupidity. Any ideas from the community?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Re: Advice on speaker refinishing needed

Postby WntrMute » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Cover it with a doily and move on.
WntrMute

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Maybe you could find a furniture refinisher in your area that could handle that.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JohnCh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:47 am

I second the furniture refinisher idea. Perhaps contact some higher end furniture stores in your area and ask if they use any local people for thus type of repair. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like there is a ploy finish on top of the stain. If so, that should make the repair a little easier since the paint won't have reached the stained veneer. They might be able to use a scraper to remove all the paint down to the poly, then remove the rest by sanding and then reshooting the top with poly. Although this is something you could tackle yourself, I'd suggest calling a pro unless you have some experience or are confident in your abilities. It would be pretty easy to damage the veneer by being too aggressive with a scraper or sanding, which would create a much bigger problem.

BTW it's probably worth an email to Ascend to get their advice and info on the finish applied.

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby Jprod » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks for the opinions. Will call ascend today once they open in the west coast
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Had another idea. Instead of trying to color match the stain would a black varnish on top to match the black plinth on the bottom look look ok? Obviously I would do it to both speakers
Jprod

Postby Johnny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I don’t have a suggestion, but I feel your sorrow.
Johnny

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am

If it were I, I’d probably sand down the stained spot and glue a piece of thin wood veneer to cover the sanded area. There are instructions on how to do that all over the internet. Then I’d go to a paint or hardware store and pick up small samples of various stains that are in the same color range as the speaker (sample stains come in small jars and cost very little). I’d test the stains on a spare piece of wood to see which is the closest match, and apply that stain to the veneer. Check out the internet for instructions on prepping and sanding the veneer and sealing the stain with poly, lacquer, or whatever. Some stains are incompatible with particular sealants. This is a pretty easy process, and would probably be fun.

If the veneer patch doesn’t look good, then you can always call in a pro. No harm done. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby JimTimP » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Depending on how deep the ink went, it may need a replacement as Orchid said. Painting is an option, but more permanent.

The best advise I've seen is to take it to a professional furniture restorer. Fooling with veneer is tricky and unless you're replacing the whole top will be difficult to match grain and color. Which is probably what I would do. Replace the veneer on the whole top. A piece about a foot square is not expensive. the grain would be consistent and color could be matched easier.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Jprod » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Thank you. My understanding is that it’s not veneer. It’s a bamboo cabinet
Jprod

Next

Return to Support Forum