new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby twentyhertz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:49 am

Hi Folks,

I just picked up an HW-19 mkiii and I'm having a great time setting it up. Two questions- For some reason the previous owner mounted the SAMA outside and hacked a hole in the dust cover. I guess this has the possibility of further reducing motor vibrations making it to the platter but it looks..not great. It's my understanding that you can mount the SAMA in the same location as the stock motor, is that correct?

More importantly, he sold it to me with the upgraded(?) 2" thick translucent acrylic platter, but also had the original delrin/lead/cork platter which I'm dying to try because...mass. Anyway, I can't tell how to remove the bearing mount for the acrylic platter, so I can put the delrin on (as it appears to go down into a hole which is not there anymore as the inverted(?) bearing is there. I assume I've got that right, right? The acrylic one sits on the bearing surface sticking up off the plinth (pic attached- I didn't want to just reef on it trying to unscrew and mess up my new table.) and the delrin has the bearing surface on the shaft that it's attached to, which I assume rests on something down under the aforementioned thing sticking up off the plinth.

Sorry for any inaccuracies in my description. VPI documentation appears to be less than stellar.

Thanks!

Chris
Attachments
vpio.jpg
vpio.jpg (507.82 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
twentyhertz
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

If your SAMA was designed for the HW-19 then it can be moved back inside the table's plinth. You will need to purchased the correct belt as your exiting belt will be too long.

Platters typically consist of a platter and an accompanying bearing. Your delrin platter requires an oil bath bearing to work. Did your table come with another bearing? If not, contact the former owner, he may still have it.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby JimmyL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Chris,
I may be wrong but if your plinth was drilled out for the inverted bearing, I think it's about 1.5" instead of the 1" for the bearing for the MK3 platter. You may have to modify to change to that older bearing...
If needed, I have a HW19 JR MDF plinth that you could use that has the 1" bearing hole and would simply drop in so you could try the other platter. I had a 9" AQ PT9 arm installed on this so would depend on what arm you have and of course the S2P distance needed.

Cheers,
Jim
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL
Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby twentyhertz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks folks. I think I have the original oil well thing - but my main problem is how to get the current inverted bearing assembly off. There seems to be no visible fasteners. Perhaps they’re on the bottom of the plinth? Will check when I get home. I was wondering if the Delrin shaft that holds the bearing could be disassembled do I could just stick the delrin platter on the (supposedly better?) existing inverted bearing...
twentyhertz
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 pm

twentyhertz wrote:Thanks folks. I think I have the original oil well thing - but my main problem is how to get the current inverted bearing assembly off. There seems to be no visible fasteners. Perhaps they’re on the bottom of the plinth? Will check when I get home. I was wondering if the Delrin shaft that holds the bearing could be disassembled do I could just stick the delrin platter on the (supposedly better?) existing inverted bearing...


The inverted bearing is Held by a threaded bolt underneath the plinth. Post a picture of the bearing shaft of the Delrin platter.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby twentyhertz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:30 am

makes sense. That what I figured, just was too lazy to flip this heavy girl over. plus I've been shooting it out vs my former main table (mmf 9) so I've been reluctant to disassemble. Although my understanding is the delrin/lead platter will sound much better than the acrylic so I really should swap it I guess..

I have what looks like it must be the stock (well/base?) in which that bearing on the delrin sit.
Attachments
vpi2.jpg
vpi2.jpg (153.6 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
twentyhertz
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby twentyhertz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:32 am

hahaha omg. I can't believe the previous owner had this platter sitting in a box and was using the acrylic. I just got the old bearing assembly off (that's a big ass nut on there) thoroughly cleaned out the bearing well for the delrin (that was a dirty gooey mess) put a few drops of 0W50 in there. cleaned and swabbed the shaft/bearing and put it on. I spun the platter very gently and was taking a video for my friend and got bored after a minute- it was still going strong and smooth. What a beautiful piece of engineering/machining/materials. I'm in love.

Now watch it'll probably sound like hell. :P
twentyhertz
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby Brf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 am

twentyhertz wrote:hahaha omg. I can't believe the previous owner had this platter sitting in a box and was using the acrylic. I just got the old bearing assembly off (that's a big ass nut on there) thoroughly cleaned out the bearing well for the delrin (that was a dirty gooey mess) put a few drops of 0W50 in there. cleaned and swabbed the shaft/bearing and put it on. I spun the platter very gently and was taking a video for my friend and got bored after a minute- it was still going strong and smooth. What a beautiful piece of engineering/machining/materials. I'm in love.

Now watch it'll probably sound like hell. :P


I would try a lighter weight of oil - around 30 weight.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby JimmyL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I just picked up the same platter and built my JR into a hot-rodded MK3. The platter made a big difference over the acrylic, the plinth probably added to it but the JMW 10.5i Classic 3 arm really made it. I'm waiting for my new protractor to arrive to finish dialing this in but, I'm guessing I already have it close as this table is the best I've heard - I'm not that knowledgeable with many higher end tables - so no idea how it would compare but I'm loving this rig for performance and the simple beauty.

What tone arm/cart are you using?
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL
Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby twentyhertz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Brf wrote:
twentyhertz wrote:hahaha omg. I can't believe the previous owner had this platter sitting in a box and was using the acrylic. I just got the old bearing assembly off (that's a big ass nut on there) thoroughly cleaned out the bearing well for the delrin (that was a dirty gooey mess) put a few drops of 0W50 in there. cleaned and swabbed the shaft/bearing and put it on. I spun the platter very gently and was taking a video for my friend and got bored after a minute- it was still going strong and smooth. What a beautiful piece of engineering/machining/materials. I'm in love.

Now watch it'll probably sound like hell. :P


I would try a lighter weight of oil - around 30 weight.


0w50 synthetic is the lightest motor oil you can buy.It remains almost free of viscosity at cold temperatures. I don't know for sure but my assumption is the operating temperature of the bearing never gets anywhere close to the temperature in a combustion engine, which is when the higher number is relative. At least that's my understanding as a former motorcycle racer :)

Also, can anyone tell me how long you have to be a member before every post/reply you make has to be approved by an admin? Seems kind of silly that replies to my own thread have to be approved..
twentyhertz
Member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Next

Return to Support Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 9 guests

x