new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Re: new HW-19 Mkiii owner questions

Postby creativepart » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:53 pm

I had a MKIII for 10 years or so. I loved playing around with it. I tried the acrylic platter, too. But preferred the original. I used the stock motor, and DIY SAMA and finally a real VPI SAMA. I also got a VPI SDS power supply - big thumbs up for that.

I had a JMW-9 on it and it sounded good. But I switched it out for a Rega RB600 with lots of mods (wire, counterweight, etc) and felt it was really ideal on that TT.

The last thing I messed with was "suspension." Mine came with both springs and pucks. I preferred the pucks over the springs. Then I removed the pucks and went "solid" without any suspension and felt it was the best of all.

Alas, I sold it all to fund the purchase of a Classic back in 2012. The Classic is great and all - but I still miss that MK III with all the mods I had made. Just plain fun.
creativepart

Postby twentyhertz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:20 am

Well I enjoyed the discussion of oils. Just to be clear what do you (and I assume VPI) recommend for the bearing, Brf? Regular old 30w if I can find it? Petroleum based 10w-30 is ok?

Also- I thought I had a JMW 9 tonearm (because the previous owner said so and the table came with an original set up manual for a 9 :roll: ) but as I started spending more time with the table I realized it's a 10 (it has VTA tower) I saw your description of the various Jmw 10 arms and it appears that I have the original (conical) unipivot point and that the newer spike type point is a worthwhile drop in upgrade- any idea where I might source one?

Thanks

Chris
twentyhertz

Postby twentyhertz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Anyone know where I can buy the updated spike point these days? Also, I posted in a different thread, but wondering if anyone knows what this counterweight weighs (from original JMW 10). I'm hoping there weren't multiple sizes that looked like this. Need a lighter weight to go with my new cartridge.
Thanks
Attachments
jmw 10 weight.jpg
jmw 10 weight.jpg (478.6 KiB) Viewed 460 times
twentyhertz

Postby Brf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

Sorry, I did not see your post until now.

Oil for a HW-19 bearing - I like synthetic oils (Mobil 1) because they do not break down over time like mineral based oils. Straight SAE 30, 5W30 or 10W30 all have the same performance for a TT bearing.

You should definitely change out the old conical pivot spike on your original JMW 10 tonearm (very easy to perform at home). Ask you Dealer for a "complete" JMW 10-3D male replacement spike assembly. You will need the whole assemble and not just the spike.
Brf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support Forum