set-up, set-up, set-up...

Re: set-up, set-up, set-up...

Postby Cat5plus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm

CAN'T BEAT THE MINT PROTRACTOR. Regarding Azimuth: I have both the Fozgometer together with the Analogue Productions "Ultimate Test Record" and the Adjust Plus. I find the Adjust Plus more technically challenging and more fun to play with. The results between the two are virtually "identical" in regards to final azimuth setting. One note on the Fozgometer, Make sure that the 9V battery is absolutely fresh and you calibrate the Fozgometer exactly according to the instructions. Use only the analogue productions test record! As far as price and wait time. You are better off with the Fozgometer and the Analogue Productions test record.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby tony22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm

An oscilloscope, if you have one. I do, but every time I ask on various fora - of people who say they have done it, I never get an answer on just how to do it. :(
Last edited by tony22 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Cat5plus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Unfortunately, I no longer have one. (Oscilloscope) I too was never clear on exactly how to go about it. I believe somewhere Michael Fremer who I know uses one religiously posted a" how to" If I can find it I will post it. Probably the ULTIMATE set up tool.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby mreeter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm

suntea wrote:
mreeter wrote:This is what I use, it's probably not as accurate as some other avenues, but it works for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Ca ... 33b003ab7a

This is tempting but I'm thinking it is only as accurate as the cut made at the bottom of the plastic piece. Unless cut perfectly flat, everything would be off. Same with the lines - if they are not perfectly straight, etc.

I've only owned one of these Guides, and it is perfectly flat and aligned. These tools are good for setting up a "Reference Point" only for Azimuth AND VTA settings.

The final calibration can be done in a number of ways, like the OP, I don't like to get "Too Techy". I get those settings close and then try to dial it in by ear.

I find that if I try to achieve perfection, the stress level rises and my "Enjoyment" level declines.

Sometimes "Close Enough" is good enough for me.
Last edited by mreeter on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm

JimmyL wrote:Thanks Letsmakeadeal,

That makes sense. I have a Dr Feickert protractor coming and, from what I've read, is very good for S2P, overhang and cart alignment. This plastic block should get me close on azimuth alignment for now. Beyond something like Adjust +, what else can be used to get closer to an "accurate set-up"?

USB microscope for SRA - Some like them some don't. I am in the like camp
Feickert Adjust + or Fozgometer for azimuth
Good magnification devices.
MintLp to assure cantilever alignment

With good ears and your existing tools you can get to around 90-95 or even 100%%. These other tools help you get to 98% arguably a bit faster.. The rest is in the final tuning by ear.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby suntea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm

mreeter wrote:
suntea wrote:
mreeter wrote:This is what I use, it's probably not as accurate as some other avenues, but it works for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Ca ... 33b003ab7a

This is tempting but I'm thinking it is only as accurate as the cut made at the bottom of the plastic piece. Unless cut perfectly flat, everything would be off. Same with the lines - if they are not perfectly straight, etc.

I've only owned one of these Guides, and it is perfectly flat and aligned. These tools are good for setting up a "Reference Point" only for Azimuth AND VTA settings.

The final calibration can be done in a number of ways, like the OP, I don't like to get "Too Techy". I get those settings close and then try to dial in by ear.

I find that if I try to achieve perfection, the stress level rises and my "Enjoyment" level declines.

Sometimes "Close Enough" is good enough for me.

Agree with that! If it sounds good, it is good enough. I just use the circular level for both azimuth and VTA as a start. Then modify by ear and adjust VTF.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Stringreen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Regarding azimuth....which I believe is extremely important in the setup......you can't expect an inscribed acrylic block to get it right. High end cartridges are hand made, and often have the stylus misaligned. The I found one of the best ways to get the stylus sitting squarely in the groove is to use the Fozgometer and its accompanying test disc. Its easy and accurate. I also found that the VPI arm with the 2nd pivot attached is a major benefit in this adjustment.
Stringreen

Postby jonathanb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 pm

If using a Fozgometer for azimuth adjustment, I recommend buying the Clearaudio Azimuth Optimizer Test Record. It's two full sides of L/R alternating 1k test tone tracks. It's expensive but very useful.
jonathanb

Postby mreeter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Fozgometer $300.
Test Record. 80.
Feickert Pro. 275.
Second Pivot.150.

Total setup. $805.00

Not everyone has, or wants to spend this kind of outlay for Cartridge Alignment.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am

mreeter wrote:Fozgometer $300.
Test Record. 80.
Feickert Pro. 275.
Second Pivot.150.

Total setup. $805.00

Not everyone has, or wants to spend this kind of outlay for Cartridge Alignment.

And the good news is you don't have to. 90% sounds great.
Letsmakeadeal

Previous

Return to Support Forum