set-up, set-up, set-up...

set-up, set-up, set-up...

Postby JimmyL » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm

It does make a huge difference getting closer to the ideal set-up. I recently put my TT together and have gone through set-up a few times and, each time I revisit things, find that I was still out. Mind you, I've been working with a printed paper protractor and trying to eyeball it. I do have a Dr Feickert protractor on its way to me and am looking forward to revealing how far out I really am... But, each time I make better adjustments, there's great gains in so many aspects of the complexity of the material.
Which leads to me to my question; with a uni-pivot arm (JMW 10.5i) what is the best way to measure azimuth? I've set it as close as possible by eye and even tried to balance a light rod on the head shell and get a measurement but still seems to be more guess.
I read about the Adjust + software but don't think I'll get that techy yet. Maybe pick up a small spirit level or make a small measuring tool...

Thought I'd appeal to the experience of this forum.

Cheers,
Jim
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Re: set-up, set-up, set-up...

Postby mreeter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm

This is what I use, it's probably not as accurate as some other avenues, but it works for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Ca ... 33b003ab7a
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby husafreak » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Hey that is a great price for an acrylic adjustment block! I an a big fan of these things, you sight through them and can get very accurate because you see the cartridge body and stylus clearly against the grid. I found mine very helpful with the 3D arm and my Blackbird cartridge recently because the headshell is a bit rounded in shape, just not "CNC machined" straight, and the stylus on my cartridge is mounted at a slight angle. The acrylic block quickly got me to where my ears could take over.
Another "tool" I use is my iPhone. I take pictures through the acrylic block and then magnify the images for a better look.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby mreeter » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 am

Good idea on taking pictures with the iPhone, I'll try it next time. I use an RPM App on my phone to set the speed on the SDS.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Dorian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 am

I’ve tried many options and IME the Adjust+ cannot be beaten!
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby suntea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

mreeter wrote:This is what I use, it's probably not as accurate as some other avenues, but it works for me.

This is tempting but I'm thinking it is only as accurate as the cut made at the bottom of the plastic piece. Unless cut perfectly flat, everything would be off. Same with the lines - if they are not perfectly straight, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Postby JimmyL » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 pm

suntea wrote:
mreeter wrote:This is what I use, it's probably not as accurate as some other avenues, but it works for me.

This is tempting but I'm thinking it is only as accurate as the cut made at the bottom of the plastic piece. Unless cut perfectly flat, everything would be off. Same with the lines - if they are not perfectly straight, etc.

I like this idea and have ordered one. (thanks mreeter!)
My first question was just how accurately level was the block and markings. Pretty easy to check and even make corrections, if needed. I just made a new acrylic plinth for my rig so working with this material is easy enough. It's got to be better than eyeballing and I had been considering making a couple of blocks for measuring off of a straight rod balanced on the head shell but, the problem with a uni-pivot arm is making sure the balanced rod is "perfectly" balanced. Seems like not much more accurate than eyeballing...
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

I have one of the acrylic blocks and it really seems to be a time saver for inital setup.

They were available from Amazon for about the same price with no waiting on shipping from China but looks to be out of stock right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765BLJCQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

JimmyL wrote:
suntea wrote:

I like this idea and have ordered one. (thanks mreeter!)
My first question was just how accurately level was the block and markings. Pretty easy to check and even make corrections, if needed. I just made a new acrylic plinth for my rig so working with this material is easy enough. It's got to be better than eyeballing and I had been considering making a couple of blocks for measuring off of a straight rod balanced on the head shell but, the problem with a uni-pivot arm is making sure the balanced rod is "perfectly" balanced. Seems like not much more accurate than eyeballing...

I have one. It is smaller than it looks in the pictures. It is well made and accurate for it's intended purpose. These types of devices are not the end game. They aid your initial set up and can be used to help get to an 85-90% set up. You then either fine tune by ear or employ additional tools to further refine the set up.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby JimmyL » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks Letsmakeadeal,

That makes sense. I have a Dr Feickert protractor coming and, from what I've read, is very good for S2P, overhang and cart alignment. This plastic block should get me close on azimuth alignment for now. Beyond something like Adjust +, what else can be used to get closer to an "accurate set-up"?
JimmyL

Next

Return to Support Forum