Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N4

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm

DrumTemp wrote:Hey Brf,
I have the oil bath assembly(?) off of the turntable (3 screws from under the Avenger), but now that it's off, damn if I know what to do next? :?
I'd take a picture, but of course my camera battery is dead. On the bottom of the fixture, is that a hex head slot at the center of a ring?

You didn't need to take off the bearing assembly. As you have noticed, on the bottom of the oil bath bearing is a hex head slot which when unscrewed will release the thrust plate holder. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Brf wrote:
I have the oil bath assembly(?) off of the turntable (3 screws from under the Avenger), but now that it's off, damn if I know what to do next? :?
I'd take a picture, but of course my camera battery is dead. On the bottom of the fixture, is that a hex head slot at the center of a ring?

You didn't need to take off the bearing assembly. As you have noticed, on the bottom of the oil bath bearing is a hex head slot which when unscrewed will release the thrust plate holder. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ha, I kinda figured you'd say that. :D So, I've got the holder off. Looking at the thrust plate under my magnifier, the indent in the center is really shallow; I'm thinking the epoxy will fill that in and use that side of the substrate to mount the crystal. Maybe?
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm

DrumTemp wrote:
Brf wrote:

Ha, I kinda figured you'd say that. :D So, I've got the holder off. Looking at the thrust plate under my magnifier, the indent in the center is really shallow; I'm thinking the epoxy will fill that in and use that side of the substrate to mount the crystal. Maybe?

That will work, or you can just flip the PEEK thrust pad upside down. Post a side picture of the thrust plate holder (the stainless steel plug with the hex insert) and I will tell you another tip
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

I went ahead and took off the thrust pad (wasn't difficult), and I'll use the flip side (might as well start fresh). Here's a picture of the holder.
Attachments
VPI PEEK Holder.jpg
VPI PEEK Holder.jpg (605.95 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

I just noticed something: My thrust pad is slightly larger in diameter on the side that was inside the holder. So turning over the pad, it falls into the holder--no press fitting, and it's not secure in the holder. Looks like I'll need to stay with using the original side of the pad.
DrumTemp

Postby bryanjan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:56 am

Brf wrote:
bryanjan wrote:
Brf wrote:
Bryan, which platter do you have on your HRX? Inverted bearing platter or the older well type bearing?

I have the inverted bearing acrylic platter on my HRX.

Bryan

Unfortunately, the thrust disk is very hard to get at on inverted bearing

I don't intend to get it out, I just want to adhere the sapphire crystal direct to it. My original question is, the PEEK thrust plate already indented by the weight of the platter itself against the bearing ball, will that hemispherical indent create an imperfect flat surface to the sapphire crystal and make it the weakest point and crack?

Bryan
bryanjan

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am

bryanjan wrote:
I don't intend to get it out, I just want to adhere the sapphire crystal direct to it. My original question is, the PEEK thrust plate already indented by the weight of the platter itself against the bearing ball, will that hemispherical indent create an imperfect flat surface to the sapphire crystal and make it the weakest point and crack?

Bryan

My educated "guess" is that it won't affect the crystal's integrity.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

DrumTemp wrote:I went ahead and took off the thrust pad (wasn't difficult), and I'll use the flip side (might as well start fresh). Here's a picture of the holder.

It looks like VPI either added or mine did not come with an O-ring on the thrust plate plug. My additional tip was to add an O-ring to help seal and damp the thrust plate plug, but yours obviously does not need it.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Brf wrote:
DrumTemp wrote:I went ahead and took off the thrust pad (wasn't difficult), and I'll use the flip side (might as well start fresh). Here's a picture of the holder.

It looks like VPI either added or mine did not come with an O-ring on the thrust plate plug. My additional tip was to add an O-ring to help seal and damp the thrust plate plug, but yours obviously does not need it.

Yes, O-ring is factory placed. In addition, as I mentioned above, the thrust pad has changed as well: two different sizes! It appears the bottom (facing the bottom of the holder) is 15.8mm as you said. The top (exposed) part is a little less than that. There is a ridge in the middle of the pad where the size transitions.
DrumTemp

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:04 pm

DrumTemp wrote:Yes, O-ring is factory placed. In addition, as I mentioned above, the thrust pad has changed as well: two different sizes! It appears the bottom (facing the bottom of the holder) is 15.8mm as you said. The top (exposed) part is a little less than that. There is a ridge in the middle of the pad where the size transitions.

Thanks, mine is not tapered, but a stepped thrust pad makes more sense as it will allow an easier alignment within the bearing shaft. Have you installed the sapphire disk yet?
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum