Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N4

Re: Magnetic Platter bearing replacement - Sapphire and Si3N

Postby Brf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:06 pm

bryanjan wrote:
Brf wrote:The standard Avenger has an inverted bearing in which the thrust plate is pressed into the platter and is not user replaceable. The Inverted ball bearing can be replaced in the same manner as described in the thread.

My HRX thrust plate is not user replaceable. I intend to put the sapphire crystal direct on top on the PEEK thrust plate, using the UV glue. I just not sure whether the little wear indent on the existing PEEK will create an imperfect flat surface to make the bond with the sapphire crystal, causing the sapphire cracks later.

Bryan

Bryan, which platter do you have on your HRX? Inverted bearing platter or the older we’ll type bearing?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:52 am

Brf wrote:The standard Avenger has an inverted bearing in which the thrust plate is pressed into the platter and is not user replaceable. The Inverted ball bearing can be replaced in the same manner as described in the thread.

Would it be worth replacing the ball if the thrust plate can't get the sapphire job?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:05 am

tony22 wrote:

Would it be worth replacing the ball if the thrust plate can't get the sapphire job?

Absolutely! You are reducing the contact area.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Did I miss the diameter for that ball? :)
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Brf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 pm

tony22 wrote:Did I miss the diameter for that ball? :)

I'm pretty sure it is the same as the mag drive at 3/8th inch. I would measure first just to make sure.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Update: I've replaced the bearings on the oil well bearing shaft, and on the Avenger dual motor rim drive. Two notes to share: 1) Seemed I spent far more time getting the bearing ball off of the rim drive shaft than off the platter...maybe twice as long. Thinking something might be wrong, I turned off the torch and lightly tapped the shaft; the ball dropped right off. Could be surface tension was keeping the ball from dropping even though I had the shaft slightly pointed down (?). 2) I bought 2 butane torches (there relatively inexpensive) because a number of customers on Amazon reported failures. Well, my first torch failed after the platter bearing removal, so the 2nd torch took care of the rim drive...something to keep in mind. ;)

Brf: I purchased some Gorilla two-part epoxy for adhering the crystal to the PEEK substrate. I haven't gotten to that part of the process, yet, but wondered if an adhesive like that is fine, or try UV (which I'm unfamiliar with)? IF UV is the way to go, do you have a recommendation?
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby bryanjan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Brf wrote:
Bryan, which platter do you have on your HRX? Inverted bearing platter or the older we’ll type bearing?

I have the inverted bearing acrylic platter on my HRX.

Bryan
bryanjan

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 am

bryanjan wrote:
Brf wrote:
Bryan, which platter do you have on your HRX? Inverted bearing platter or the older well type bearing?

I have the inverted bearing acrylic platter on my HRX.

Bryan

Unfortunately, the thrust disk is very hard to get at on inverted bearing
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:43 am

DrumTemp wrote:Update: I've replaced the bearings on the oil well bearing shaft, and on the Avenger dual motor rim drive. Two notes to share: 1) Seemed I spent far more time getting the bearing ball off of the rim drive shaft than off the platter...maybe twice as long. Thinking something might be wrong, I turned off the torch and lightly tapped the shaft; the ball dropped right off. Could be surface tension was keeping the ball from dropping even though I had the shaft slightly pointed down (?). 2) I bought 2 butane torches (there relatively inexpensive) because a number of customers on Amazon reported failures. Well, my first torch failed after the platter bearing removal, so the 2nd torch took care of the rim drive...something to keep in mind. ;)

Brf: I purchased some Gorilla two-part epoxy for adhering the crystal to the PEEK substrate. I haven't gotten to that part of the process, yet, but wondered if an adhesive like that is fine, or try UV (which I'm unfamiliar with)? IF UV is the way to go, do you have a recommendation?

Super glue will work fine. Ultra violet activated glue is not necessary. I used it because I have access to it.

Here is another tip for those having some difficulty removing the ball bearing. Heat the ball first until the glue seal breaks and the ball can rotate freely within the bearing. In some instances, the ball will just fall out or fall out when gently tapped. If the ball can rotate freely but will not release from the bearing shaft, let the ball bearing cool and then gently heat the bearing shaft which holds the ball. The heat will cause the bearing shaft to expand thereby releasing the ball bearing.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey Brf,
I have the oil bath assembly(?) off of the turntable (3 screws from under the Avenger), but now that it's off, damn if I know what to do next? :?
I'd take a picture, but of course my camera battery is dead. On the bottom of the fixture, is that a hex head slot at the center of a ring?
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum