Room treatments

Re: Room treatments

Postby jonathanb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am

I used diffusors at the first reflection points.
jonathanb

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am

jonathanb wrote:I used diffusors at the first reflection points.

I thought you said you used acoustic panels at your first reflection points?
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am

25 x 25 is a large room. If you have your speakers approximately 8 feet apart and your listening chair is positioned in the room's center, your are virtually listening in the near field, therefore, side wall reflection should not be an issue. Experimentation is the key to room acoustics.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am

Brf wrote:25 x 25 is a large room. If you have your speakers approximately 8 feet apart and your listening chair is positioned in the room's center, your are virtually listening in the near field, therefore, side wall reflection should not be an issue. Experimentation is the key to room acoustics.

I was thinking just to tame the harsh high frequencies and clean up the sound. Like I said, my room doesn’t sound bad but I just figured that by treating the first reflection points on the walls and ceiling that I could get a more clear sound with more detail at loud volumes. I guess I just don’t want to make the room too dead sounding in the process
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:
Brf wrote:25 x 25 is a large room. If you have your speakers approximately 8 feet apart and your listening chair is positioned in the room's center, your are virtually listening in the near field, therefore, side wall reflection should not be an issue. Experimentation is the key to room acoustics.

I was thinking just to tame the harsh high frequencies and clean up the sound. Like I said, my room doesn’t sound bad but I just figured that by treating the first reflection points on the walls and ceiling that I could get a more clear sound with more detail at loud volumes. I guess I just don’t want to make the room too dead sounding in the process

Treating first reflection points helps more with the sound stage than overall frequencies response. Based on your room dimensions and seating position, the primary direct wave has come and gone before the secondary reflected side wall reaches you ears.

BTW, there is no way you are going to over damp a room that large with four 4’x2’x2” acoustic panels.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Good to know. So at the very least this should help and not hurt.
Bloodflame666

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

Brf wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:

Treating first reflection points helps more with the sound stage than overall frequencies response. Based on your room dimensions and seating position, the primary direct wave has come and gone before the secondary reflected side wall reaches you ears.

BTW, there is no way you are going to over damp a room that large with four 4’x2’x2” acoustic panels.

By the way, my listening position is in an almost perfect triangle from the speakers. Everything is about 8-10 feet from each other. So if I’m listening in the “near field” is that a problem? If I move back any then I’m under an HVAC duct that is boxed out and moves the ceiling height down about a foot. I had my couch under it originally and it sounded much more open and clearer when I pulled the couch up to the spot it’s in now.
Bloodflame666

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:
By the way, my listening position is in an almost perfect triangle from the speakers. Everything is about 8-10 feet from each other. So if I’m listening in the “near field” is that a problem? If I move back any then I’m under an HVAC duct that is boxed out and moves the ceiling height down about a foot. I had my couch under it originally and it sounded much more open and clearer when I pulled the couch up to the spot it’s in now.

Listening in the near field helps to take most of the room out of the equation. You should seriously consider adding some bass traps to your room.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Bloodflame666 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:53 am

Brf wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:

Listening in the near field helps to take most of the room out of the equation. You should seriously consider adding some bass traps to your room.

Thanks for all your help brother. From the way my room is set up I’ve found it sounds better close than further away so that confirms your last message. I will look into a couple bass traps after I get the panels installed and see how they sound. I don’t wanna go too crazy too soon
Bloodflame666

Postby Stringreen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I have a very large room, and found the 1st reflection is off the floor....immediately in front of the speakers. I got a small cheap (good looking) rug which did wonders for the sound....depth, cleanliness, bass, ....all improved.
Stringreen

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum