Motor too far from platter?

Motor too far from platter?

Postby wolfyboy359 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi I just upgraded my turntable to the Prime Scout with the 3D arm. Everything is going really well, but I have a question I couldn't figure out on my own. The motor is running fast according to my KAB strobe disc and light. So I moved the belt to the top groove and moved the motor farther away from the table. Only thing is, in order to get the speed stable I have to move the motor pretty far from the table. Is there such a thing as too far? It doesn't seem to be an issue on 33-1/3, but on 45 I get a lot of vibration on startup. Like a bunch. It is concerning. But that is the only way to get the speed stable. What should I do? :?:
Prime Scout 3D Arm > Soundsmith Zephyr Mk. III > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Blue Jeans Cable Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Re: Motor too far from platter?

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:58 pm

buy an ADS or other motor controller. If you are slowing down the platter by moving the motor away from the platter you are creating friction/drag and ultimately heat on both the motor bearings and platter bearing...Do not do this. Damage will ensue! :oops:
Letsmakeadeal

Postby thegage » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am

wolfyboy359 wrote:but on 45 I get a lot of vibration on startup. Like a bunch. It is concerning. But that is the only way to get the speed stable. What should I do? :?:

How far away is "pretty far"? I differ from Lets in how much pressure a single belt will put on the bearings. I don't think it would be significant at any reasonable distance.

The vibration you are seeing is the belt chattering on the pulley as the motor tries to move the platter. You can eliminate it with a little talc on the belt, or by starting to rotate the platter by hand before turning on the motor.
thegage

Postby wolfyboy359 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 pm

thegage wrote:How far away is "pretty far"? I differ from Lets in how much pressure a single belt will put on the bearings. I don't think it would be significant at any reasonable distance.

The vibration you are seeing is the belt chattering on the pulley as the motor tries to move the platter. You can eliminate it with a little talc on the belt, or by starting to rotate the platter by hand before turning on the motor.

Well, I did not measure but it was several inches. I put it back the way it was and will save my pennies for an ADS.
Prime Scout 3D Arm > Soundsmith Zephyr Mk. III > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Blue Jeans Cable Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Postby husafreak » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Several inches cannot be right. It should look like the pictures of the table on the VPI website ads.
When I first got my Scout 2 I got the wrong size belt, and the motor had to be a couple inches from the table, but that was not correct.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby DeeCee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

According to the Scout manual:

The motor should extend approximately .25 inch from the left side of the turntable chassis.

Hope this helps.
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby husafreak » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm

I got that sorted out within minutes of assembling the table. But for the OP I don’t know the specs.
Off topic: Have you started saving for for a 3D arm DC? ;)
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby DeeCee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am

husafreak wrote:I got that sorted out within minutes of assembling the table. But for the OP I don’t know the specs.
Off topic: Have you started saving for for a 3D arm DC? ;)

Any chance of that will be floating with me & wifey to the Bahamas on a trip soon :D (unless Santa has something in his sleigh for me - doubtful.)
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Return to Support Forum