Angle check please?

Angle check please?

Postby tony22 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Anyone care to offer an assessment of the VTA in this pic? I think I have an idea based on measurement, but I removed the measurement lines to keep from throwing anyone off.

SS_12.jpg
SS_12.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Re: Angle check please?

Postby Brf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:16 am

Ideally, you need a picture of the stylus with no debris. What cartridge?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 am

A SS Zephyr. Yes, I saw the debris after I took the pic. Sorry about that.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby WntrMute » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Using ImageJ (a great free download - who says the government doesn't do anything worthwhile) I get 96.7 degrees for your SRA. This assumes a number of things:
I accurately could find the edges beneath the crud.
The facet to be measured is in the middle of the stylus itself. Not a given. Look up a Fritz Geiger stylus for instance.
You took your picture "square on" - not leading or trailing.
My math is correct.
However, you can be reasonably certain that you are a bit tail up.
WntrMute

Postby tony22 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Ha! Thanks WntrMute. :) I got within a fraction of that. So here's the dilemma - my VTA tower is already dialed down as far as it will go. Has anyone else had this problem with a Zephyr on an Avenger? It looks as though I have to lower the pivot spike. I know how to do it, but I wasn't expecting this. Hence the request for additional eyeballs.
tony22

Postby WntrMute » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:27 pm

The best option may be to shim the back of the cartridge. Tonearms, in general work best if close to level. Droping the tail 4 degrees will require massive amounts of negative rake at the tonearm.
WntrMute

Postby Stringreen » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm

I wouldn't shim.....adjust the spike if necessary....easily done...(well, not that easily)
Stringreen

Postby tom collins » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:33 pm

how does it sound? a friend of mine who is very knowledgible and sets up many tables tried to set up a lyra of mine that i had peter retip (not ruby cantilever) and he could not get it adjusted to 92. maybe peter measures the angle differently?
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby WntrMute » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm curious as to why you would recommend running the tonearm 40 mm tail down (5 mm needed, 8 mm per degree with a 9 inch arm.) Over a thin brass shim or the equivalent under the rear of the cart. Not saying you're wrong, just interested in why you advocate a severe tail down postition?
WntrMute

Postby jonathanb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm

From the Soundsmith website:
"Recently the use of USB microscopes has brought a plethora of “experts” who believe they are viewing the SRA correctly. Often, they are fooled by the optics, an issue also complicated by the fact that by not realizing that by viewing the “shank” of the diamond they are not viewing the actual facet angle which traces the groove walls. This facet edge position VARIES from diamond to diamond within a single diamond stylus design as the shaft of the diamond is not always held perfectly in the tool that is used to hold it while the facets are being made. It can vary as much as +/- 4 degrees easily – WITHOUT the ability of being easily observed.

So, while folks believe that they obtaining correct SRA by viewing either the edge facet itself, the cantilever VTA or the diamond shaft, they can still be very far off. Knowing the VTA of a particular cantilever/diamond design is therefore of little value. Also of extreme importance is the fact that a STATIC view of SRA - versus how the cantilever moves UP when the record is playing, offers additional degrees of ERROR when using a USB microscope to determine proper SRA.

An interesting case is the diamond we use in many of our models, including the Sussurro. Many who view that diamond with optical aids are shocked to see that it is raked back by what appears to be as much as 20 degrees, and have questioned Soundsmith’s ability to mount a stylus.

This particular diamond we use in several of our designs has a “HIDDEN” facet at the bottom, thus returning the SRA to 2 degrees raked inward.
jonathanb

Next

Return to Support Forum