Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Re: Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Get a long length of cheap wire (lamp cord or something) and temporarily hook it to your speakers and move them way away from your turntable. If this cures the problem then you have a feedback loop. If not the problem is somewhere else.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 pm

VinBob wrote: I am wondering if there is any disadvantage using this from a sonic performance in switching away from RIAA to IEC? - Also, could this issue also have been introduced by the subwoofer although I don't believe it went away when I turned down the volume? I am now questioning myself on that and will double check that again tomorrow...

Actually, using the subsonic filter in your preamp will benefit your system as the amp is using power to amplify the subsonic frequencies, therefore, by eliminating the sub sonic will increase your amp’s efficiency.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am

How do your speakers sound?
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby VinBob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote: I am wondering if there is any disadvantage using this from a sonic performance in switching away from RIAA to IEC? - Also, could this issue also have been introduced by the subwoofer although I don't believe it went away when I turned down the volume? I am now questioning myself on that and will double check that again tomorrow...

Actually, using the subsonic filter in your preamp will benefit your system as the amp is using power to amplify the subsonic frequencies, therefore, by eliminating the sub sonic will increase your amp’s efficiency.

Thanks Brf - I’ll give that a try hopefully before the day is out as I need to go and deal with snow for my sins! lol
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Orchids1 wrote:How do your speakers sound?

They sound prety good to me- Is there something I should be looking out for with regards to sound?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby tom collins » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm

the riaa curve is designed to decode the record with the riaa encoding so that it plays even between 20hz and 20khz. i have no idea what the other curve would do, but it won't cost you anything to find out. if you like the sound, leave it, if not, consider other options. you have a lot of bass energy in your room between those towers and the sub. i have heard that pressure waves in the air can cause audible distortions. a friend suggested setting the needle on the record when not playing and then gradually turning the volume up to see if you get pumping. you can try that and see what happens.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:15 am

Vin, You say the driver/cone travel isn’t crazy, and the speakers sound good. Your owners manual should say something about driver travel length, if you’re curious. However, your speakers, themselves, will generally tell you whether something’s wrong, and they haven’t. I wouldn’t worry. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm

tom collins wrote:the riaa curve is designed to decode the record with the riaa encoding so that it plays even between 20hz and 20khz. i have no idea what the other curve would do, but it won't cost you anything to find out. if you like the sound, leave it, if not, consider other options. you have a lot of bass energy in your room between those towers and the sub. i have heard that pressure waves in the air can cause audible distortions. a friend suggested setting the needle on the record when not playing and then gradually turning the volume up to see if you get pumping. you can try that and see what happens.

Thanks Tom. I placed the needle on the record and turned up the volume on the preamp but all I could hear, was a gradual system background noise and hiss that I would guess be normal when going up to such high levels on your amplifier, but nothing seemed to happen as far as driver/cone movement with my B&W speakers.

Even if I turn off the Sub, I still get the same level of movement on the drivers/cones, but will keep researching and investigating to try and eliminate this behaviour which ideally, I would like to do without introducing the subsonic filter within my Moon 310LP phono preamp, as I have read that doing so, typically has a negative effect on the sonics...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Vin, You say the driver/cone travel isn’t crazy, and the speakers sound good. Your owners manual should say something about driver travel length, if you’re curious. However, your speakers, themselves, will generally tell you whether something’s wrong, and they haven’t. I wouldn’t worry. Rich

Thanks Rich. Unfortunately, nothing in the owners manual that speaks to driver travel length. Although I probably shouldn't worry, I am still curious to how they are behaving especially more so on the left channel. I can understand movement with the music playing but they are moving during the quiet deadwax passages of an LP which should not be the case and from what I understand, taxing the amplifier unnecessarily so while not an issue with regards to listening, I clearly have a setup issue which I would still like to pursue for some form of resolution.

Will keep plugging away...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby thegage » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:09 pm

VinBob wrote:I can understand movement with the music playing but they are moving during the quiet deadwax passages of an LP which should not be the case and from what I understand

Even the non-music areas of an LP contain surface imperfections which the cartridge will pick up. Warps that are essentially visually imperceptible will cause the cartridge suspension to flex, as will even mildly off-centered pressings.

John K.
thegage

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum