Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Re: Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm

thegage wrote:
VinBob wrote:I can understand movement with the music playing but they are moving during the quiet deadwax passages of an LP which should not be the case and from what I understand

Even the non-music areas of an LP contain surface imperfections which the cartridge will pick up. Warps that are essentially visually imperceptible will cause the cartridge suspension to flex, as will even mildly off-centered pressings.

John K.

Thanks John and I do see your point - However, why am I seeing this more so on the left channel though? That's what has me really confused at this point... I am going to swap the speakers this evening from the power amp and see if the issue still stays with the left channel. If it moves to the right channel, then can I assume it's an issue with the power amp doing something funky with the left channel outputs?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby JimTimP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 pm

You could be seeing more in the left channel as your anti-skating is wrong and pulling the stylus in tighter contact with the left wall of the groove.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:39 pm

JimTimP wrote:You could be seeing more in the left channel as your anti-skating is wrong and pulling the stylus in tighter contact with the left wall of the groove.

Thanks Jim - so would that mean I have too much or too little Anti-Skate applied?

Cheers,
V.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Me again and just to provide a quick update...

I swapped the speakers around and I am definitely seeing more movement now on the right channel. So does this mean that it's an anti-skating issue? per JimTimP's comment? Just FYI. I am not noticing any cantilever deflection when the stylus hits the vinyl - so my assumption is I am all good with the two washers and I was able to pass 98% of the a/s test track on the ultimate analog LP. I also lightened the A/s with one washer and no real change there...

Also, I am noticing that as the stylus gets closer to the center of the record label, the fluctuations are not as erratic with the speaker with less fluctuations (practically all gone) but I still see a little fluctuation on the channel with the bigger issue but a lot less - what could this possibly indicate?

Also during the quiet passages in between tracks, I can hear something that is either surface noise off the vinyl or it may be slight platter noise - not sure exactly but I would think its probably the former :?

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby JimTimP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:19 am

The Left channel is the inner wall. Closest to the spindle. Anti-Skate forces the tonearm out against the Right Channel

It could mean you have too little Anti Skate. But this is a guess.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby VinBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 am

JimTimP wrote:The Left channel is the inner wall. Closest to the spindle. Anti-Skate forces the tonearm out against the Right Channel

Thanks mate. I'll experiment this evening with that too - I am now wondering if I just have a bad match between my tonearm and Delos which may be causing this issue - of course, I only just recently noticed this when taking off the speaker grills to go with the open speaker cone look and was really surprised to see this going on...

Cheers,
Vincenzo.
VinBob

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm

VinBob wrote:
JimTimP wrote:The Left channel is the inner wall. Closest to the spindle. Anti-Skate forces the tonearm out against the Right Channel

Thanks mate. I'll experiment this evening with that too - I am now wondering if I just have a bad match between my tonearm and Delos which may be causing this issue - of course, I only just recently noticed this when taking off the speaker grills to go with the open speaker cone look and was really surprised to see this going on...

Cheers,
Vincenzo.

I've been in the same boat, it seems when I went from a SoundSmith Zephyr back to a Grado this became more pronounced as well as having speakers that I regularly take the grills of to listen. I've given up worrying about it.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby JimTimP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

VinBob wrote:

Cheers,
Vincenzo.

Vincenzo,

I also have a Delos on a 10" 3D arm. My system also incorporates dual powered subwoofers. I don't have the same issue. So, I don't think it's a tonearm/cartridge match. I also do use the dual pivot. Not sure if you are, but could also be a consideration. FWIW, I don't have grills for the subs (haven't made them yet). So, I'd notice something like this right away.
JimTimP

Postby VinBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm

JimTimP wrote:
VinBob wrote:

Cheers,
Vincenzo.

Vincenzo,

I also have a Delos on a 10" 3D arm. My system also incorporates dual powered subwoofers. I don't have the same issue. So, I don't think it's a tonearm/cartridge match. I also do use the dual pivot. Not sure if you are, but could also be a consideration. FWIW, I don't have grills for the subs (haven't made them yet). So, I'd notice something like this right away.

Thanks for the feedback JimTimP and especially on the Delos compatibility clarification, as I do love the cartridge and really would not want to have to swap that out if I can help it. I do have the Dual Pivot but have not installed it yet - do you really think this may solve my problem and if so, how would the dual pivot address this technically?

Also, are you using the standard screws and arm lift that came with your arm?

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby JimTimP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm

At this point, what do you have to lose? I do need some Anti-Skate on my arm at 45 RPM. But at 33 1/3, I can get away without it. These setting were realized after the installation of the 2nd pivot. Plus it does make adjusting azimuth much easier and consistent.
JimTimP

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum