Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Hello All,

Can someone please educate me as to why I am recently noticing a fair amount of speaker movement (more so left channel) especially when playing vinyl much more so that my digital formats. Is there something that I need to adjust at the phono preamp end? I recently had my Moon 310LP serviced but they told me that no settings had been changed, and it certainly sounds as it should. The speaker cones are not moving like crazy, but there seems to be a lot more movement than I remember and even so during the quiet passages and dead wax in-between tracks. I thought it may have had something to do with the introduction of my SVS Subwoofer which is next to the left speaker but when I turned the volume down, it didn't seem to make any difference. I am wondering if it may have something to do with the vinyl itself so will double check this tomorrow...

Any pointers/guidance would be greatly appreciated as always...

Cheers,
Vin.
Last edited by VinBob on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Re: Speaker cone/driver movement...?

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Most likely either record warp or undesirable cartridge/ tonearm resonances.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:Most likely either record warp or undesirable cartridge/ tonearm resonances.

Thanks Ayre - I had thought of this and used the Periphery ring to flatter the LP as it was a little warped, but didn't solve the issue. I have since edited the posting as I am seeing it a little more with the left channel too...

If this is due to cartridge/tonearm resonances, how does one solve this? Please don't tell me I have a bad cartridge match for the 3D arm!!! :shock:

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm

It also could be that your speakers are too close to the turntable.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Subsonic energy often causes excess cone extension when playing vinyl. To eliminate it, you can add a rumble filter or try moving your TT away from the speakers to break the feedback loop.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:17 pm

But the speaker that is showing more driver movement is further away than the one that isn't from the turntable... :? Attaching a picture of my setup which I hope may help.

Cheers,
Vin.
Attachments
Audio Setup.JPG
Audio Setup.JPG (588.71 KiB) Viewed 304 times
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Brf wrote:Subsonic energy often causes excess cone extension when playing vinyl. To eliminate it, you can add a rumble filter or try moving your TT away from the speakers to break the feedback loop.

Thanks Brf - unfortunately, I am somewhat limited in the space that I have to move things out further which you will see from my recently posted picture.

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby tom collins » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:23 pm

how is your floor supported? Is it suspended over a basement or crawl space? is it on a concrete slab? If it is suspended, that is your problem. The sub and the woofers are putting micro-vibration into your tonearm and your speakers are reflecting the signal. Easy test, does it do this with cd? if not, that is your problem. I had to use a rumble filter for my system, then moved rooms with the rack sitting on an old fire place hearth decoupled from the floor where the speakers and sub sits. No more pumping. If you want to buy my lightly used KAB subsonic filter, pm me, I will give you a deal.

Tom
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:25 pm

I did find this in the phono preamp user guide which may solve the issue and I think speaks to what Brf mentioned regarding a rumble filter?:

The MOON 310LP Phono Preamplifier is equipped with circuitry for two (2) different equalization curves; The RIAA standard and the less common IEC modified curve. The main difference is that the RIAA curve produces a flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz; The IEC curve acts as a subsonic filter removing inaudible
infrasonic bass below 20Hz.

To determine which curve you should use, do as follows: with the 310LP set to the RIAA curve, watch the movement of your loudspeaker’s bass drivers – if their motion doesn’t follow the pattern of the record currently playing and/or you see excessive driver movement, chances are you should use the IEC curve to eliminate the subsonic information not present on the record.

It seems like what I am seeing, is exactly what they describe in the second paragraph above. If this is the way to go, do I lose anything by moving away from the RIAA standard whilst solving this potential issue?

Cheers,
V.
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

tom collins wrote:how is your floor supported? Is it suspended over a basement or crawl space? is it on a concrete slab? If it is suspended, that is your problem. The sub and the woofers are putting micro-vibration into your tonearm and your speakers are reflecting the signal. Easy test, does it do this with cd? if not, that is your problem. I had to use a rumble filter for my system, then moved rooms with the rack sitting on an old fire place hearth decoupled from the floor where the speakers and sub sits. No more pumping. If you want to buy my lightly used KAB subsonic filter, pm me, I will give you a deal.

Tom

Hey Tom - thanks for the feedback. The floor is a concrete slab with thin carpeting on top. The issue is not happening when playing CD or other formats of music - just with Vinyl from what I can tell.

Thanks for your kind offer of a subsonic filter but I think I have one built into my Moon 310LP - I am wondering if there is any disadvantage using this from a sonic performance in switching away from RIAA to IEC? - Also, could this issue also have been introduced by the subwoofer although I don't believe it went away when I turned down the volume? I am now questioning myself on that and will double check that again tomorrow...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Next

Return to Support Forum