Need for record mat for Prime

Re: Need for record mat for Prime

Postby Packgrog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:27 pm

From what I've read, it seems that the Classic/Prime/Signature/Whatever platter is well-damped enough that it works best bare. I don't know if this is the case for the smaller Scout or Player platters. I use a 5mm Achromat on my Scout Jr. since I needed a slight label relief cutout to make the best use of a reflex clamp, and because I got a good deal on it. It does help damp the platter a bit. Whether this is BETTER than a bare platter would be, I have no idea.

I have tried other mats, though. I still have a 3mm clear acrylic mat that was OK (still need to get rid of it), the stock VPI mat after that (I just use it as a platter dust cover, really), then worst of all was a DIY leather mat. Perhaps the Leather-It mat is a harder leather, but I did not like the sound with my own leather mat AT ALL. Dulled, flabby sound, no life at all.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby thegage » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Packgrog wrote:Perhaps the Leather-It mat is a harder leather, but I did not like the sound with my own leather mat AT ALL. Dulled, flabby sound, no life at all.

This is not the case with the Leather-It. I don't know why. It seems to balance everything out without dulling or bloating the sound.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 am

Hi all,

Newb here resurrecting this thread. I'm a proud new owner of a pre-owned VPI SSM Reference and am looking to get a mat for it. Herbie's Way Excellent II looks like it's quite popular here and was thinking of biting the bullet on that one.

However, I was wondering if anyone using one of these along with a periphery ring clamp could weigh in on what diameter I should purchase? It looks as though it's offered in 280, 285, 290 and 292mm. Will the maximum size interfere with the way the clamp rests over the LP and platter?

Also, I've noticed that this table discharges a crazy amount of static electricity whenever I flip/remove an LP from the platter. Will Herbie's mat eliminate or mitigate static discharge?

Thanks!
Fast-n-Bulbous

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am

You want a 295mm diameter, 2mm thick Herbies mat if using the VPI periphery ring. The mat does seem to mitigate static issues when changing album sides.
jonathanb

Postby Fast-n-Bulbous » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am

jonathanb wrote:You want a 295mm diameter, 2mm thick Herbies mat if using the VPI periphery ring. The mat does seem to mitigate static issues when changing album sides.

Thanks Jonathan! I'm ordering one now.
Fast-n-Bulbous

Previous

Return to Support Forum