VPI Prime+Tavish Design Adagio phono preamp...which cart?

VPI Prime+Tavish Design Adagio phono preamp...which cart?

Postby gangelis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Everyone! After purchasing the Prime this past Spring, I settled on the Adagio in September and I'm very happy with them both. I currently have a Nagaoka MP-110 that sounds quite good, but I know I'm missing out so it's time to upgrade. Budget is $1000. I listen to all kinds of music; from heavy metal to jazz, blues, classical, opera, 80's pop music, alternative, grunge, indie and so on.

I spoke to Mat (what a great guy!) at the NY Audio Show two weeks ago and he recommended the Ortofon Quintet. Reviews online are excellent, but I've also been eyeing the Dynavector 20x2L and the Audio Technica ART9. I'm open to other suggestions as well! I'm basically looking for a cart that sounds musical with a sweet midrange, solid bass and an expansive soundstage. I've been apprehensive to pull the trigger on a cart since, well, they are not returnable.

Appreciate any help! Thanks for reading, talk soon!

-George
gangelis

Re: VPI Prime+Tavish Design Adagio phono preamp...which cart

Postby Brf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:08 am

I am a bit bias towards the Dynavector line as I really like the cartridge's dynamics. You do have a nice short list, not a dog amongst them
Brf
Site Admin

Postby mreeter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:38 am

Congrats on your Prime and the Adagio! The Adagio is a very nice Phono Pre that loves Vintage Tubes. I think either of your cartridge choices would sound spectacular, but I would opt for the Dynavector.

When the Dyn gets "long in the tooth", send it in to SoundSmith for the Ruby Cantilever upgrade, all reports state that it comes back 'better than new"
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby jonathanb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 am

The Hana SL is a real killer cartridge in your price range.
jonathanb

Postby gangelis » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks Guys! I'm just reading up some comparisons and audiogon reviews on the ART9, sounds like a killer cart. I've read good things about the Hana SL too :) I'll report back when I make a decision :mrgreen:
gangelis

Postby Altanir » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello George!

I´m also an owner of a VPI Prime and a Tavish Adagio, with them running together for almost a month now.
I´m currently using a Denon DL301 mkII but I´ve got my eye on a Dynavector 20x2 L.

Wich phono cable are you using between the prime and the adagio?
Altanir

Return to Support Forum