not another 2nd pivot question

Re: not another 2nd pivot question

Postby VinBob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 am

Hello All,

Sorry if I am missing the obvious here, but how are you able to measure the load in grams on the second dual pivot? Scratching my head on this one....

I don’t want to mess around with blue tac so I am simply looking to load the dual pivot with enough force using a combination of the counter weight and/or CI device so that it has enough to skate all along the plate. Please correct me if I need to adjust my approach but that’s the working method I understood before blu tac came along! :?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Johnny » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 am

Vin, did you read the thread from the start? It is explained in detail
Johnny

Postby VinBob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am

Johnny wrote:Vin, did you read the thread from the start? It is explained in detail

Good point Johnny! :oops: - I am still going to simply eyeball and get it so that it is touching the plate all the way with the minimum amount of force which I think is the way to go....
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Has anyone tried to reduce the friction of the point/plate interface? For example: Would a thin coating of Nano-Oil be of use here?
Here is the product I have been wondering about,

https://www.amazon.com/Nano-Oil-NanoLub ... C9RGA4#Ask

I am really curious about this as I have a new Prime (not yet in use or with the stabilizer) and this product has been on my mind for a year or so.
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:Has anyone tried to reduce the friction of the point/plate interface? For example: Would a thin coating of Nano-Oil be of use here?

I am really curious about this as I have a new Prime (not yet in use or with the stabilizer) and this product has been on my mind for a year or so.

I am not a fan of lubrication on an exposed surface for precision instruments as it will attract air borne contaminants which will ultimately hinder performance.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm in agreement with that opinion, however the product description states that nano sized particles fill voids in the metal surface, so I assume the oil carrier could be removed, leaving the surface smoother. The particle attraction is on a molecular size and very strong.
Mr_Putty

Postby mmai » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 am

Mr_Putty wrote:Has anyone tried to reduce the friction of the point/plate interface? For example: Would a thin coating of Nano-Oil be of use here?

A bit off the topic, I wonder if this oil can be used on the platter bearing?
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out); Audio Technica ART-9, AT-OC9ML/II & Denon DL-103SA; Aesthetix Rhea (modded to near Signature status)
mmai

Postby thegage » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 am

mmai wrote:A bit off the topic, I wonder if this oil can be used on the platter bearing?

http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9574
thegage

Postby thegage » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Here's another 2nd pivot question (I have too much time on my hands, sitting at home in the middle of a blizzard and not wanting to go out and shovel): With the 2nd pivot installed, what would be the effect of removing the side weights? With the 2nd pivot loaded, the side weights are no longer needed to stabilize arm movement, but removing them would change the effective mass, no? Any benefit/downside?

John K.
thegage

Postby Brf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 pm

thegage wrote:Here's another 2nd pivot question (I have too much time on my hands, sitting at home in the middle of a blizzard and not wanting to go out and shovel): With the 2nd pivot installed, what would be the effect of removing the side weights? With the 2nd pivot loaded, the side weights are no longer needed to stabilize arm movement, but removing them would change the effective mass, no? Any benefit/downside?

John K.

You answered your own question. No benefit in removing the side azimuth weights, in fact, if one does, it could have a negative impact on performance. No harm in trying though......
Brf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support Forum