not another 2nd pivot question

Re: not another 2nd pivot question

Postby mitchlim » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:20 pm

Brf wrote:Over the last couple of months I have been theorizing as to what would be the optimal force applied on the skate plate by the dual pivot. I then tested my theory with extensive listening test and my conclusions are listed below

1) The dual pivot point force should be 60-70% of the cartridge’s vertical tracking force.

2) A dual pivot force 1.0 grams less than the cartridge vtf may result in audible dual pivot bearing chatter in heavily modulated grooves

3) A dual pivot force 0.5g greater than the cartridge vtf will result in compressed micro dynamics and loss of high end extension.

The above results were based on a 12” arm

Hi, Just would like to confirm that by adding dual pivot unit I need to reduce the VTF, i.e. if I am using Dynavector XV-1s at 2.5 gram (without Dual pivot), then after adding the dual pivot, the VTF has to be reduced by 40-30% (your point 1 above) from the 2.5 gram to approx. 1.65 gram

Thank you
mitchlim

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 pm

The force in Brf reply #1 below is for the second pivot contact only, not the stylus force. #1 is a percentage of your desired stylus force determined before adding the second pivot. AIUI (as I understand it).
Mr_Putty

Postby mitchlim » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Ah. I see

Thank you
mitchlim

Previous

Return to Support Forum