Dropped counterweight for Player/Jr arm?

Dropped counterweight for Player/Jr arm?

Postby Packgrog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Perhaps this question will be lost on you folks with higher end decks, but I was wondering if anyone has tried a "dropped" counterweight with the Player/Scout Jr arm. I've noticed a fair number of skips with this arm both on a Player that I tried as well sad the Scout Jr that I settled on. It's not the cartridge, since I've never used the 2m with the Jr (I installed my AT33PTG/II immediately), but still have gotten skips that I've ever gotten with other tonearms, even with inferior cartridges. Would a dropped counterweight help with this? Would it do anything at all with this arm? Thoughts?
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Re: Dropped counterweight for Player/Jr arm?

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Imho, a dropped counter weight will not help with cartridge skipping, especially with a Yoke bearing.

Check the following:

Make sure your table is level
Check your stylus for wear
TT is too close to the speaker (acoustic energy could be causing the table to vibrate)
Nothing is interfering with the tonearm. Especially the tonearm lift
The tonearm wire is not over stressed or twisted
Check your vtf
Check your cartridge alignment
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Marc » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 am

Have you tried to lubricate the tonearm bearing? You would be able to put a drop or two of 40w motor oil.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am

*sigh* It might well be stylus wear. I've done so many tests over the past couple of years that I may have just worn the damn thing out. The other recommendations were all already carefully dealt with or were non-issues (I almost always record straight to digital, so the speakers wouldn't be an issue). Blah.

Guess I'll be out of commission again until I can save up enough to replace my cart. Crap. Thanks for the feedback, folks.

BTW, back to the original question, why would a dropped counterweight not have much impact on a yoke arm? My last two Rega-based arms used dropped weights and worked great with them.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Packgrog wrote:BTW, back to the original question, why would a dropped counterweight not have much impact on a yoke arm? My last two Rega-based arms used dropped weights and worked great with them.

I did not say that a dropped CW won't improve the sound, I said it won't (IMHO) improve the shipping problem.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:55 pm

BTW, my alignment was off. Most (but not all) of the skips and distortion cleared up after fixing alignment and VTF. I still prefer dead center on the recommended range (ie: 2.00 exactly with the AT33PTG/II). I still have one album that skips consistently on one spot.

Now I'm mostly exploring tuning options to try to simply wring out as much sound quality improvement as I can.
Packgrog

Return to Support Forum