The Allen set screw

The Allen set screw

Postby mcamp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 pm

that secures the cueing device on my HRX is stripped. Does anyone know what the thread size is? Thanks.
VPI HR-X, Kleos Lyra, BMC MCCI phono stage, Aesthetix Calypso, Parasound Halo JC-1 (2), KEF Reference 201/2, Yamaha CT-7000 tuner, Parasound CD-1
mcamp

Re: The Allen set screw

Postby 10ovr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm

So what is striped ?? The Allen head,,The threads on the allen ,,The treads in the board ,,The size allen wrench is 1/4 inch ?????
10ovr

Postby mcamp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 pm

The threads are stripped. I need the tread size of the screw. Thanks.
VPI HR-X, Kleos Lyra, BMC MCCI phono stage, Aesthetix Calypso, Parasound Halo JC-1 (2), KEF Reference 201/2, Yamaha CT-7000 tuner, Parasound CD-1
mcamp

Postby husafreak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 am

Um, those set screws are hardened steel, but the machined aluminum or castings they
thread into are usually much softer. 10ovr asks a very good question.
Anyway, most good hardware stores have tools in the screw section where you can determine the thread, but maybe not in the smaller sizes used on these tables. This is a good question for VPI engineering.
An option if you are positive it is the set screw itself is to use an actual machine screw (or bolt) instead of a set screw. At least they are easier to source. So you could try a few and find out. I don't know if VPI uses English or metric.
If the aluminum body is stripped don't sweat it, you should be able to get it drilled and tapped for the next larger size, maybe even by a friend who is into model hobbies for free. Or of course by VPI. Yeah an HRX is valuable enough to go back to VPI.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Marc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 am

mcamp wrote:The threads are stripped. I need the tread size of the screw. Thanks.

It would be a 6-32 Set Screw. I can gladly send out a replacement if you send me your address via email to marc@vpiindustries.com.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Return to Support Forum