How do I remove the ball from the shaft on a HW-19 Mk3 TT

How do I remove the ball from the shaft on a HW-19 Mk3 TT

Postby Tre' » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Tre'

Re: How do I remove the ball from the shaft on a HW-19 Mk3 T

Postby Tre' » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm

I want to try a Ceramic ball bearing Si3N4 but I have to get the old one out of the depression at the end of the shaft first.

Does anyone know how? Is it pressed in? Is it glued in?

Thanks.

Tre'
Tre'

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 am

They are affixed by a combination of a press fit and a dab of super glue.

I have been successful at removing the ball bearing by putting the entire bearing in a freezer and tapping it with a hammer. I have also been successful with heating the ball only , therefore, allowing expansion to pop it out. I have also had to take one to a machine shop where they drilled a pilot hole and pulled it out. They charged my $15. I summary, some are easily removed, whereas other are not.
Brf
Site Admin

Thank you. (nt)

Postby Tre' » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Tre'

Postby WntrMute » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Did you try the heat the shaft (gently) and then cool just the ball technique I suggested on the other site you asked this question? I have found that boiling the shaft (OUCH) and cooling the ball with https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Freeze-Electronic-Component-FR-777-777/dp/B000Z99ZCA usually pops them out. Sometimes they just fall out once cleaned well with a solvent.
WntrMute

Postby Tre' » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 pm

I haven't tried anything yet. I wanted to understand the issue before proceeding.

Thanks.

Tre'
Tre'

Postby bryanjan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I posted this in audio asylum too.

I successfully replaced the spindle shaft bearing ball and the motor flywheel shaft bearing ball of my VPI HRX with high precision ceramic bearing ball.

You need to use a gas torch or fire gun with small flame tip that only heating the bearing ball, don't heat the shaft otherwise the temperature will quickly transfer to the shaft metal instead on the ball. It only takes around a minute to melt the glue under the bearing ball and the ball will be loosen. You need to completely clean the remaining old glue before putting the new ball, use some mixed crazy glue will do the trick to hold the new ball (don't use too much glue).

Hope this help.

Bryan
bryanjan

Return to Support Forum