Anyone have problem with first generation 3D arm

Anyone have problem with first generation 3D arm

Postby Moglide » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm buying a classic 2 with first generation 3D arm. Has anyone had problems with arm going out of shape or finger lift breaking off. I know the did change design with a thicker tube and metal lift mounted to cartridge screw. I have read that some of these problems have occurred and vpi backed up there product, is this true? Thanks in advance.
Moglide

Re: Anyone have problem with first generation 3D arm

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm

The first generation 3D arms are great. I personally liked the gloss finish and tapered and more complex arm tube over the the standard flat black straight arm. The only real issue is that the finger lift is fragile during shipping.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby teenage diplomat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:23 pm

I have two first generation 12" 3D arms which I use on my HRX. One was perfect from the start. The other is now...but getting there took some doing. The original arm, sourced new from a VPI vendor, scraped the bearing housing's left side weight on the the plinth regardless of VTA, VTF, or azimuth. VPI replaced the arm, no charge. I'm sure they will do the right thing for you too.
teenage diplomat

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 am

Hey Moglide, the original 3D arms were a bit of a learning curve but still fantastic arms. The main things to note was this is before we stepped up the heat resistance in the material. Also it had the 3D printed finger lift. The heat resistance was only a problem when the arm was left in a really hot garage or when you feel like tossing it in the microwave! (please don't :P ) The finger lift was a problem in shipping where it could possible break but some customers actually preferred that finger lift that way. It was also a bit more tweaky on the adjustments and the side weights do not turn. That aside it was a fantastic sounding arm and to an extent shares some design structures to our new upcoming high-end "Titan/Fatboy" tonearm. In the end though we always have our customer's backs :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Moglide » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am

Nice to know a company that backs up there product. Coming from WellTempered Reference that no longer supports past generation products and Linn lp12 lingo,cirkus,Ittock and next upgrade cost more than table is worth. Makes me feel better about purchasing a VPI.
Moglide

Return to Support Forum