Prime Platter Speed Adjustment

Prime Platter Speed Adjustment

Postby Robes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm

I have spent too much time trying to search for a simple answer which has to be addressed on this forum somewhere but I'm a little anxious and think I'll get a reply before I find it in the next few weeks.

I am about to buy a new Prime but just want to know (without use of an ADS or tach) how I check the speed on the TT when I set it up? I've had many a thousand dollar less TT come with adjustable pitch controls to simply speed-up or slow down the platter speed and those tables had strobe markings (little dots or hash marks) along the perimeter of the platters for doing it.

Is there some adjustment on the motor? Do I have to buy a devise or some type of strobe markings to put on the platter to do this? I'm a bit put off if it's not possible without investing in the ADS, may very well be a deal breaker-

Robes :?:
Robes

Re: Prime Platter Speed Adjustment

Postby Marc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello Robes,

You would be able to use the provided slip mat to dial in the speed without the ADS. You would just need to use a 60Hz light source.

You would be able to move the motor closer or further from the turntable to adjust speed and you would be able to move the belt up and down the groves of the pulley to adjust speed.

If you are looking for a more precise calculation you can purchase a standalone strobe disc and strobe light.

Sincerely,
Marc
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:08 pm

There are also plenty of SmartPhone apps available from Free to $2 that will get you in the ballpark.

That being said, after purchasing the KAB SpeedStrobe, I find it necessary for almost any Vinyl Enthusiast.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Okwute » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:
That being said, after purchasing the KAB SpeedStrobe, I find it necessary for almost any Vinyl Enthusiast.

+1 The KAB SpeedStrobe IMHO is a MUST in every Vinyl enthusiasts toolbox whether you have the SDS/ADS or not. Highly recommended.
ScoutMaster /10 in. 3D with ref wire, Vas Nova Sig, Stillpoints Ultra LP,Outer Ring,VPI Rim Drive, SDS,Classic Platter,Bearpaws,ModWright PH 150 Pre,LS 36.5 DM LS,Tube Transporter ,Vandy 5A,Clearday Dbl Shotgun, KWA 150 SE (Bridged Mono x2), VPI 16.5 RCM,
Okwute

Postby JimTimP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 am

To expand on what Marc was telling you. The pulley on the motor has those additional belt grooves for a reason.They are a slightly different diameters, and will thereby change the turns ratio between the motor and the platter slightly. Start with the belt in the middle pulley position. Go up to the top one if you need to speed up slightly, down to slow down. Won't be much, but you shouldn't need it unless the line frequency at your house is off.

If you need greater precision, then and ADS/SDS or used Phoenix is they only other alternatives.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Return to Support Forum