Dual pivot set screw

Dual pivot set screw

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

I am not happy with the fit of the "set screw" as it sits within the dual pivot housing. I am currently running two arms on an Avenger and just installed a dual pivot device on each of the arms, and both have set screws that are very, very loose. As you use the allen wrench to move the screw in or out you can't feel any resistance at all as the wrench is turned. I'm even concerned that the screws are so loose they may not be holding their position over time of use. Anybody else concerned over how loose these set screws are? Any known solutions? I'm just not comfortable at all with how loose these are now. Hoping that Marc might read this . . . . .
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Re: Dual pivot set screw

Postby Brf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Use a small piece of plumber's Teflon tape on the threads of the pivot post which will creates the resistance needed and prevents the pivot from backing out.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby WntrMute » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I found that a piece of nylon fishing line threaded through the hole prior to threading the screw in works as well. Works as a "nylock" type screw or nut.
WntrMute

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:45 pm

I used Lock-Tite Blue - Worked perfect
Letsmakeadeal

Postby WntrMute » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I used Lock-Tite Blue - Worked perfect

I'd be concerned the blue locktite wold be too difficult to loosen when needed but is it works for you then great.
WntrMute

Postby JimTimP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Elmer's Glue, or similar. You can add it with a toothpick after you find the spot. In lieu of that, a drop of fingernail polish on the threads that extend below the pivot carrier, again, after you find the sweet spot.

There's a lot of ways to take care of it. Just whatever you are comfortable with
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks guys. I already have some white plumbers tape so I'll give that a try.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby VinBob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Why is this still an issue?! One would think this would have been addressed by now...

I have one on order and have asked my dealer to check mine before shipping out to me, as I really don't want to have to put a band aid on to make something brand new work :roll:

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Johnny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am

VinBob wrote:Why is this still an issue?! One would think this would have been addressed by now...

I have one on order and have asked my dealer to check mine before shipping out to me, as I really don't want to have to put a band aid on to make something brand new work :roll:

Cheers,
Vin.

This is a quality control issue. VPI outsources their metal machine work, therefore, I am lost as to why they don't specify a higher tolerance from their supplier or reject the one's with a sloppy thread.
Johnny

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:31 am

+1 to Johnny's comment. It should not be left up to us to use baling wire and bandaids to complete functionality of finished products. I believe this situation has been left unattended for some time.
jmcox

Next

Return to Support Forum