Dual pivot set screw

Re: Dual pivot set screw

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey all, sorry this has been an issue for you guys. We have over 250 of these guys out there in the world and this is the first we are hearing of it. I've mounted a bunch of arms using it and personally liked the tolerance of the screw. That being said, I'm not an accurate measure since I'm mounted and adjusted enough that it is a quick breeze for me now. With our testing we thought we nailed it and we are happily using it. If you all feel the tolerance could be a bit tighter than that is what we are all here for, to get your feedback and adjust accordingly. This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with any existing ones out there, it is just giving us more insight on how we can improve the adjustment experience. :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Mat, thank you for the response, its appreciated.

I can't speak for others (although I have read comments similar to mine in multiple postings) - but for me this is a real problem. I have two tonearms and two dual pivot setups and both have screws so loose that they are difficult if not impossible to feel the movement of the screw when attempting to make adjustments and are even so loose that I believe they may be backing out of any final setting. This is really diminishing the experience with the product for me. A couple of the guys here were kind enough to pass along suggestions as to how they got around it, but I sure would like to obtain two copies with proper turning resistance. May I send mine back and have them exchanged for copies with tighter tolerance? Or ???

Thanks
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby Brf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:20 pm

jmcox wrote:Hi Mat, thank you for the response, its appreciated.

I can't speak for others (although I have read comments similar to mine in multiple postings) - but for me this is a real problem. I have two tonearms and two dual pivot setups and both have screws so loose that they are difficult if not impossible to feel the movement of the screw when attempting to make adjustments and are even so loose that I believe they may be backing out of any final setting. This is really diminishing the experience with the product for me. A couple of the guys here were kind enough to pass along suggestions as to how they got around it, but I sure would like to obtain two copies with proper turning resistance. May I send mine back and have them exchanged for copies with tighter tolerance? Or ???

Thanks

Hi jmcox, not to diminish you concern, but IMHO, I prefer a looser fit with teflon tape approach. Even with a tighter tolerance, their still exist a chance over time of the pivot spike backing off due to vibration/use. With teflon tape, it creates a lock-tight grip due to the compression nature of the material plus it creates a mechanical damping between the pivot barrel and assembly. Perhaps, VPI could apply a form of thread lock or a similar product on future production runs. In the interim, try some teflon tape.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the response Brf. I have used the plumbers tape for normally envisioned purposes (water pipe, garden hose connections, etc) and of course it works great for those purposes. One observation I had in applying the tape in those applications is that while under those circumstances it did indeed leave a thin layer of the tape material between the two male/female surfaces, continuing to provide the additional contact - for a single install event - when I used it for the tiny set screw it seemed as if it was being skinned off the small threaded set screw when inserted ( I did not do a lot of moving of the screw, just a couple adjustments back and forth trying to hit a point with the Fozgometer readings). But, not sure with this tiny screw that the white tape was remaining on the surface of the set screw. I hear your point about vibration cushion help with the application of the tape, but for me I also did not like the fact that it was hard to feel and control movement of the screw with such a sloppy free moving fit, and at this moment I'm not sure that with time (and maybe a very short time at that) the tape may be skinned off the screw surface, leaving me with the same sloppy tolerance and problems. As an added point, I will be installing and reinstalling multiple cartridges on my tonearms over time. Loctite or glue is absolutely not the solution for me. This just does not seem like a finished product from my perspective.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby WntrMute » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

As I mention earlier, nylon fishing line would aleviate your issue. Just get a 1 inch piece and thread it through the threaded hole, then start your set-screw along side of the line leave a little out at each end and trim the loose ends off.
WntrMute

Postby jmcox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you WntrMute. Actually sounds like a good alternative, I appreciate it.
jmcox

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm

I know we're not talking huge sums of money here. The Dual Pivot is $150, then I have to pay another $20 for a roll of Loctite Thread tape. What's up with that? Synergistic Research supplies a dab of white tac with their transducers and they are similarly priced. Harry said on another forum that the dual pivot would come at no cost from the factory but I'm up to $170 for a DIY "upgrade". Next the Auto Lift will be standard on new tables but if you already bought your table the DIY "upgrade" will be $250. That's like Mercedes Benz wanting to charge additional for a radio! :(
oldskooldude

Postby Brf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:29 pm

oldskooldude wrote:I know we're not talking huge sums of money here. The Dual Pivot is $150, then I have to pay another $20 for a roll of Loctite Thread tape. What's up with that? Synergistic Research supplies a dab of white tac with their transducers and they are similarly priced. Harry said on another forum that the dual pivot would come at no cost from the factory but I'm up to $170 for a DIY "upgrade". Next the Auto Lift will be standard on new tables but if you already bought your table the DIY "upgrade" will be $250. That's like Mercedes Benz wanting to charge additional for a radio! :(

I use teflon thread seal tape that cost $0.69 a roll
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimTimP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:30 pm

I used a drop of nail polish that cost nothing (just don't tell my wife....).
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:31 pm

My point is you have to go to the trouble to work around a flaw on a DIY upgrade. I was in the computer industry for 40 years. I know about work arounds. Usually the more responsible vendors solved the issue for us so we didn't have to go to the hardware and purchase a cheap, unnessary item that we will never use again so that we could use the manufacturers product. What is wrong with this picture?

Mercedes Benz optional radio that I had to install myself, needs a clamp, dealer says see Joe's Radio Repair for a fee and inconvenience. Totally cool if you just spent $75K on your car, right? I'm just sayin'.
oldskooldude

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum