Sibilance with my zephyr star

Re: Sibilance with my zephyr star

Postby JimTimP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:
thanks for the info. I actually have a similar block coming my way next week. I ordered it off eBay. I'm going to redo everything tonight and see if that will address the problem. The weird part is that I don't hear the sibilance in the vocals or cymbals. I hear it mainly in hi hat hits on many recordings.

Well, be careful now. Some sibilance may be in the recording.

To prove it to myself, this past weekend I was listening to some Loreena McKennit and notice some slight sibilance in her voice. I also have the same album on CD, so I swapped over and the same amount was present there as well. So it must have been microphone sourced or just recording distortion. Unless they are sourcing the CDs from the Vinyl these days. :)

If you can make the same test, it might be helpful in understanding your system, and trusting it. Or not.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Bloodflame666 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Okay! Good news! When I got home from work today, I had the vta/azimuth block waiting for me in my mail box. I did exactly what I was instructed to do and started the whole process from scratched. I leveled the table platter and then used the block to check vta and azimuth. Turns out that I was tail high still on vta so I leveled it out. Azimuth was actually off and so I corrected that too. I checked my vtf and I made sure that the antiskate and alignment were still on point. Low and behold, the sibilance issue was corrected and the soundstage sounded a lot more balanced and fluid. Everything fell into place and the cartridge is now sounding really great. In the end I settled on around 2.0grams of force and a level headshell for vta. I'm at 475 ohms and 60 db of gain. It turns out that having something better than the VPI stick is crucial for azimuth and I'm so glad that I got that block in the mail today. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and tried to help me. I really appreciate it a lot. I'm going to leave everything as is for a while and let this bad boy break in properly. I'm excited to hear how much better it'll sound when it's fully blossomed
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

Postby WERA689 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Bloodflame666 wrote:Okay! Good news! When I got home from work today, I had the vta/azimuth block waiting for me in my mail box. I did exactly what I was instructed to do and started the whole process from scratched. I leveled the table platter and then used the block to check vta and azimuth. Turns out that I was tail high still on vta so I leveled it out. Azimuth was actually off and so I corrected that too. I checked my vtf and I made sure that the antiskate and alignment were still on point. Low and behold, the sibilance issue was corrected and the soundstage sounded a lot more balanced and fluid. Everything fell into place and the cartridge is now sounding really great. In the end I settled on around 2.0grams of force and a level headshell for vta. I'm at 475 ohms and 60 db of gain. It turns out that having something better than the VPI stick is crucial for azimuth and I'm so glad that I got that block in the mail today. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and tried to help me. I really appreciate it a lot. I'm going to leave everything as is for a while and let this bad boy break in properly. I'm excited to hear how much better it'll sound when it's fully blossomed

Good news indeed! Glad to hear it, too!
WERA689

Postby madrac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:17 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:thanks for the info. I actually have a similar block coming my way next week. I ordered it off eBay. I'm going to redo everything tonight and see if that will address the problem. The weird part is that I don't hear the sibilance in the vocals or cymbals. I hear it mainly in hi hat hits on many recordings.

Curious as to which one you ordered as there are several on ebay. One of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Car ... 33b003ab7a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Car ... Swkr5ZiuKX
madrac

Postby Brf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 am

madrac wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:thanks for the info. I actually have a similar block coming my way next week. I ordered it off eBay. I'm going to redo everything tonight and see if that will address the problem. The weird part is that I don't hear the sibilance in the vocals or cymbals. I hear it mainly in hi hat hits on many recordings.

If I were in the market for an Azimuth ruler, I would purchase the first one listed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Cartridge-Azimuth-Ruler-/221996362618?hash=item33b003ab7a
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am

Bloodflame666 wrote:It turns out that having something better than the VPI stick is crucial for azimuth and I'm so glad that I got that block in the mail today

I too used an alignment block to set azimuth on my MIMC Star. But last night I used my Adjust+ software and dramatically improved the setting. Look at the below diagram generated by Adjust+. The 0 degrees reading was where I started, based on setting it with the alignment block. I ended up at the -2 degree setting, and look at the crosstalk, virtually dead-on in both channels. Can't beat the Adjust+ for setting azimuth (I tried the Foz too).

Adjust+ Results MIMC Star 09.07.17.PNG
Adjust+ Results MIMC Star 09.07.17.PNG (117.98 KiB) Viewed 235 times
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby cbl117 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Dorian wrote:
Bloodflame666 wrote:It turns out that having something better than the VPI stick is crucial for azimuth and I'm so glad that I got that block in the mail today

I too used an alignment block to set azimuth on my MIMC Star. But last night I used my Adjust+ software and dramatically improved the setting. Look at the below diagram generated by Adjust+. The 0 degrees reading was where I started, based on setting it with the alignment block. I ended up at the -2 degree setting, and look at the crosstalk, virtually dead-on in both channels. Can't beat the Adjust+ for setting azimuth (I tried the Foz too).

Adjust+ Results MIMC Star 09.07.17.PNG

Dorian, out of curiosity, why not -0.5deg? Phase and cross-talk seem to be perfect there and its closer to parallel (0deg).
cbl117

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Good question cbl. I actually emailed Dr Feickert asking him which setting is optimal (he hasn't replied yet). If you look closely, the crosstalk is better at the -2 setting and I think I read that it's better to get the crosstalk dead on than the phase. It's not actually -2 degrees from level, that's just the plot point I entered. The -0.5 and -2 settings were almost identical, just a quarter of a square difference on the counter-intuitive.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby madrac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Brf wrote:
madrac wrote:

If I were in the market for an Azimuth ruler, I would purchase the first one listed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonearm-VTA-Cartridge-Azimuth-Ruler-/221996362618?hash=item33b003ab7a

Thanks, Brf. That's the one I was considering.
madrac

Postby Bloodflame666 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:47 pm

That's the one I got as well
VPI Prime Signature. Soundsmith Zephyr Star MIMC. Parasound A21. Parasound P5. Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+. KEF Q900. JBL ES150P. Kimber Kable 8VS. Tributaries Series 8 Interconnects. Mapleshade Isolation Platform.
Bloodflame666

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum