Newish Prime cue lifter now sticks before working

Newish Prime cue lifter now sticks before working

Postby Strat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Bought a Prime in December. The lifter always worked great but in the last week, it suddenly and without warning started sticking at the bottom. Consequently, when I lift the arm, there's a small bit of resistance and a bigger thump sound when the needle is lifted from the record (coming through the speakers).

Any ideas on how to address this so it works like it did when I first got it?
Strat

Re: Newish Prime cue lifter now sticks before working

Postby 10ovr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

10ovr

Postby JimTimP » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Strat, Make sure the grub screw holding it in place is not too tight. It pinches the case and causes this issue.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Strat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 pm

10ovr wrote:http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9410

Unrelated. Mine sticks at first like there's now some hum at the bottom. The thread you linked to is about cue lifters not lifting at all or dropping too slow or fast.
Strat

Postby Strat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 pm

JimTimP wrote:Strat, Make sure the grub screw holding it in place is not too tight. It pinches the case and causes this issue.

Sorry. I don't know what a grub screw is or where it's located. Is there a way for me to find out so I can ensure it's not too tight?
Strat

Postby 10ovr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:52 am

Strat wrote:

Unrelated. Mine sticks at first like there's now some hum at the bottom. The thread you linked to is about cue lifters not lifting at all or dropping too slow or fast.

It's all related LOL,, You have a bad lift ,,,,Get a Jelco and be done with it,,, Here is a picture of the set screw,,1/4 inch allen ImageIMG_1254 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Strat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 am

10ovr wrote:
Strat wrote:

It's all related LOL,, You have a bad lift ,,,,Get a Jelco and be done with it,,, Here is a picture of the set screw,,1/4 inch allen ImageIMG_1254 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr

Oops! Just realized my previous post said "hum." Stupid autocorrect. I meant to write "gum!" At first, there's a slight stickiness to the cue lever like there's some gum at the bottom of the mechanism holding it back. It's strange.

Thanks for taking the time to show that screw. I'll play with it and hope that'll take care of the problem.

How hard/easy is it to install the Jelco, if worse comes to worst? Aside from reliability, is there any advantage to the Jelco VS the standard Prime cue lifter?

Since the Jelco and stock cue lifter look identical, and since VPI initially used the Jelco before, how can I tell whether I have the Jelco already or not?

Lastly, will it void my warranty in any way if I install the Jelco?
Strat

Postby 10ovr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

The Jelco lever is 2.5 inches long,,Vpi about 1.5 inches ImageIMG_1273 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Strat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:07 pm

10ovr wrote:The Jelco lever is 2.5 inches long,,Vpi about 1.5 inches ImageIMG_1273 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr

Then I have a Jelco! Thanks again for pointing this out to me.

Meanwhile, I think I've finally uncovered the real issue. I'm 99% sure of it. I noticed there's a bit of oil on top of the mechanism and I think what's occurring is the metal clip which touches that top is sticking to the oil at first, hence the slight stickiness when lifting the lever.

How would one go about cleaning that portion properly so none of this residue is left? Are there any solutions I should use or just a very slightly damp cloth is preferred? Once this is done, I'm almost certain my issue will disappear.
Strat

Postby 10ovr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Q tip with a little thinner or WD40 on it should work,,,
10ovr

Next

Return to Support Forum