3D arms for Scouts?

3D arms for Scouts?

Postby husafreak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Has anyone purchased a 3D printed arm for their Scout yet? I have looked forward to this as an ultimate upgrade but I can't find much info, just a rumor that they are in production.
I imagine that a 9" 3D arm would be a drop in replacement for my Scout 2. I have read somewhere here that it is possible to put s 10" arm on a Scout but I don't know if that is true and I imagine it would require a 10" arm base.
Anyway I am curious and definitely interested in getting a 9" arm.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Re: 3D arms for Scouts?

Postby edw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Not me, but there are 2 I've seen or heard of that are out there in use. Too bad they haven't chimed in about their first-hand experiences.

A while back, I did look into putting a 10" 3D arm on my Scout II and spoke to Harry about it. It is doable with the proper base. However, depending on the cart, the cart would be very close to extending - or actually extend - beyond the footprint of the plinth. In some setups, it could work, but I decided against it as there would be greater risk of the arm getting accidentally jarred (not be me of course!) extended that way. Also, at that time, there were rumors of a 9" 3D arm, which now are available.

I will eventually get the 9" 3D arm too but I am sooo enjoying my setup right now. Maybe they will eventually come with the gloss finish too :mrgreen:
edw

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am

Most of the big internet dealers have the 9" 3D arm in stock for $1800. Putting a 10" 3D arm on a Scout is not exactly money well spent. MSRP of the VTA base is $1200 and the arm is also $1800.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby edw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Yup, might as well get a Prime. But at least in my setup, the Prime will not physically fit.
edw

Postby husafreak » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks, surprised at the lack of info but I'll check the usual suspects and limit my search to the 9" arm. I really need someone to review that upgrade but imagine it is an obvious improvement.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Return to Support Forum