USA Cueing Device Drops Fast

Re: USA Cueing Device Drops Fast

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 am

The Jelco cue assembly is universally employed in many high end manufacture's tonearm, therefore, Jelco cue failures would not be limited to just VPI. I can't speak to Jelco or the VPI produced cue failures as my cue assemblies continue to works without issues.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Brf wrote:The Jelco cue assembly is universally employed in many high end manufacture's tonearm, therefore, Jelco cue failures would not be limited to just VPI. I can't speak to Jelco or the VPI produced cue failures as my cue assemblies continue to works without issues.

Just curious , how old is your tt? I'm on my second arm. Came downstairs tonight for some vinyl listening and spent a few minutes "loosening up " the cue assembly becaause it would not drop all the way down. It would just hover over the record. Once it drops I have enough clearance so it has nothing to do with the height of the cueing assembly. I may experiment with leaving the assembly in the down position and then remembering to lift it up before I play my first record
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 am

My most current VPI table is just over a year old. I've owned aver 8 vpi arms and none had cue problems.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am

My short investigation showed that users of other turntables with hydraulic tonearm cueing systems, which is almost all of them, have the same complaints as the folks here. Still, none of the hydraulic cueing devices seem overly complicated, and it would seem to me that they should be more reliable. Does anyone know the reasons for the failures. I would assume that the main causes are small leaks and a lack of uniformity in the damping fluid, or fluid of the wrong viscosity, which should be correctable. Aftermarket damping fluids having different viscosity is sold on the internet. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 am

Orchids1 wrote:My short investigation showed that users of other turntables with hydraulic tonearm cueing systems, which is almost all of them, have the same complaints as the folks here. Still, none of the hydraulic cueing devices seem overly complicated, and it would seem to me that they should be more reliable. Does anyone know the reasons for the failures. I would assume that the main causes are small leaks and a lack of uniformity in the damping fluid, or fluid of the wrong viscosity, which should be correctable. Aftermarket damping fluids having different viscosity is sold on the internet. Rich

I think part of it is since the system is 100% sealed, the silicone fluid dries up or thickens over time. I've rebuilt the Jelco and Clearaudio lifters with new fluid, a cleaning and a little bit of patience and they have always returned to work like new. I think the current designs just require some maintenance every few years but nobody wants to come out and say it.

Maybe Carlo from Tru-Lift/Integrity HighFi can reinvent the wheel for VPI since he did such a nice job on the Tru-Lift.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Mat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 pm

It was getting rough using our previous arm-lifters because when we received they were either 100% or dead on arrival and getting them swapped/replaced was a no go. Some shipments nailed it others would be 50% unusable. We have been working on ours and there was a bit of a learning curve with our initial batch were it came down a bit too fast/real time, but we have stepped it up and are finding that they are working without a problem now. We had actually planned on waiting longer on our arm lifter but last year during the holidays we got hit with a shipment from our former supplier that was almost all unusable and it killed us on getting tables out so we had to push ahead of schedule on our own. Should be good all around now, also those having a problem we found that it is when the set-screw on the side is just a bit too tight.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Mat wrote:It was getting rough using our previous arm-lifters because when we received they were either 100% or dead on arrival and getting them swapped/replaced was a no go. Some shipments nailed it others would be 50% unusable. We have been working on ours and there was a bit of a learning curve with our initial batch were it came down a bit too fast/real time, but we have stepped it up and are finding that they are working without a problem now. We had actually planned on waiting longer on our arm lifter but last year during the holidays we got hit with a shipment from our former supplier that was almost all unusable and it killed us on getting tables out so we had to push ahead of schedule on our own. Should be good all around now, also those having a problem we found that it is when the set-screw on the side is just a bit too tight.

Ok Mat , thanks for the response. I will try to loosen the side set screw tonight but it seems that there is not much of a "window" between too tight and too loose where the whole cueing mechanism drops.

Just curious, what does the side set screw against a solid metal cylinder have to do with how quickly it drops ( in my case i have the opposite problem )?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Mat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 am

It can potentially apply just a touch too much pressure on the piston inside mechanism which is fouling it up. It took us a bit to discover this because the intense testing (flipping it up and down) happens before we we mount it in the base. This was what he had always done to test the arm lifter with the previous supplier as well and was the fastest way to see if it was DOA or in good shape. After that/mounted to the base my guys put a weight on top of the arm to represent a cartridge and test it some more. Most of the lifters with issues have been resolved with backing off the set screw :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby cbl117 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 am

Mat wrote:It can potentially apply just a touch too much pressure on the piston inside mechanism which is fouling it up. It took us a bit to discover this because the intense testing (flipping it up and down) happens before we we mount it in the base. This was what he had always done to test the arm lifter with the previous supplier as well and was the fastest way to see if it was DOA or in good shape. After that/mounted to the base my guys put a weight on top of the arm to represent a cartridge and test it some more. Most of the lifters with issues have been resolved with backing off the set screw :)

Hi Mat, OP here. I tried backing off the set screw, but I'm still having issues. The cue mechanism drops at the speed of the lever so I'm forced to manually lower slowly.
cbl117

Postby Johnny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:15 am

Let's address the elephant in the room. What is VPI response to owners with a defective cue? Will a replacement be provided and what conditions must be satisfied? Does one go through their Dealer, or work with VPI directly? Do I need to return my defective cue before a replacement will be provided?
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum