USA Cueing Device Drops Fast

Re: USA Cueing Device Drops Fast

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I Just ordered the Jelco from Audio Sensibility. Hope this works better than the one that came installed. Thank you for the info Jprod.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Dorian wrote:
Jprod wrote:Audio sensibility carries them
http://audiosensibility.com/blog/access ... ry=3461663

That looks identical to the one on my Prime. Did VPI use Jelcos before switching to the current, problematic lift?

Yes, VPI has used the Jelco forever. The switch was to have a complete made in USA product I believe, since the Jelco is made in Japan.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks. I just placed my order with Audio Sensibility.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm

The more I think about this the more I'm wondering why VPI continues to put defective cueing mechanisms on their turntables when they have to know that they're having a problem with these. :?:
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Jprod » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Gary1955 wrote:I Just ordered the Jelco from Audio Sensibility. Hope this works better than the one that came installed. Thank you for the info Jprod.

You are quite welcome. I have received so much help on this forum as a new vpi owner I am glad I could return the favor. I have not ordered mine yet but probably will soon. I am on my second mechanism with the same results. I have to say both VPI and Sounsstage Direct have bent over backwards to try to rectify the situation.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Jprod wrote:
Gary1955 wrote:I Just ordered the Jelco from Audio Sensibility. Hope this works better than the one that came installed. Thank you for the info Jprod.

You are quite welcome. I have received so much help on this forum as a new vpi owner I am glad I could return the favor. I have not ordered mine yet but probably will soon. I am on my second mechanism with the same results. I have to say both VPI and Sounsstage Direct have bent over backwards to try to rectify the situation.

The Jelco is a Japanese part (and it shows) and doesn't go along with Mat's "Made in USA" campaign....Up until about a year and a half ago, VPI arms came with the Jelco lift as standard equipment...I am sure the cost per piece is much higher on the Jelco part than that of their locally sourced "Made in USA" part. That said, why can't their supplier reverse engineer the Jelco to at least make something that works reliably? It could also just be a numbers game....If they only get complaints from 10%, the cost savings (if there is any) may justify. A number of newbies may just not know any better..I instantly purchased Jelcos for my new arms since I had them previously & I knew they were superior. The continuous return, customer frustration and complaint loop isn't free....You will be much happier you spent the 70 bucks after you see how smooooth and siiillllky the Jelco is believe me....
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:The continuous return, customer frustration and complaint loop isn't free....You will be much happier you spent the 70 bucks after you see how smooooth and siiillllky the Jelco is believe me....

And then they wonder why the Phoenix Engineering guy keeps busting their nuts on this form.
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
Letsmakeadeal wrote:The continuous return, customer frustration and complaint loop isn't free....You will be much happier you spent the 70 bucks after you see how smooooth and siiillllky the Jelco is believe me....

And then they wonder why the Phoenix Engineering guy keeps busting their nuts on this form.

I think it is personal between Harry (mainly) and Phoenix but Mat is in there somewhere as well. While I absolutely love my VPI gear and I really do (it is fantastic & sounds fantastic), they've had some real growing pains this last year or two along with a few serious "STEP on THEIR LIZARD" moments - like with the "Carbon Fiber Wrap" on the 3DR campaign (actually NO Carbon Fiber at all), the new USA Cueing device that is problematic at best and the ADS BUZZZZ (To be fair mine is perfect and silent! as most are I am sure).

I think it is reasonable as cash paying customers to expect honesty in Advertising, promotional commentary and product descriptions and to push for improvements when applicable (as in > fix the frikkin Cueing Device or go back to Jelco, PLEASE)...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 am

Was VPI's previous cuing device made by Jelco. That device had plenty of its own shortcomings, which are described in detail in this Forum. I gather the new US made device, which appears to use the same design, is even worse. The cuing device has always been the weakest and most frustrating link in VPI's tables, even though it seems to have a simple, straight-forward design that would seem to be easy enough to execute. What sorts of mechanisms are used to lower and raise tonearms on other quality tables. Perhaps, VPI should take a cue (pun intended) from other manufacturers. Rich

P.S. A quick review of other manufacturer's tonearm cueing systems shows that most of them employ a hydraulic, fluid-filled cylinder very similar in design to the VPI cueing device, and they exhibit the same sorts of problems. However, the cueing devices on a few high-end tonearms are purely mechanical, and don't involve hydraulics. Perhaps, they can be adapted for after-market installations.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby JimTimP » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 am

If it's a simple hydraulic system employing a fluid of some viscosity, can that fluid be changed? If so, there are fluids of various viscosity available via RC Hobby stores/sites used in RC Car Shock Absorbers. Typically Silicon based oil, you could get from fairly runny to so thick you may never get that arm to go down. IIRC the higher the numbers, the 'stiffer' it is.

If this is a common ailment, then maybe some experimentation is needed.

FWIW, the lift on my prime signature is just fine with the right amount of dampening. YMMV
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

PreviousNext

Return to Support Forum